How many moms here on food stamps? Do you feel ashamed or embarrased sometimes at the cash register and people behind you are watching you swipe?

Or worse when your card doesn't swipe and the cashier has to punch in the numbers and takes forever to do it. People in the line complaining. Just wondering, cause its happened to me. I'm not one to be proud to be on food stamps, but I have to or my family would starve because of our super low income.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• The people behind you shouldn't be close enough to know how you are paying and even a regular credit card can screw up and need punched in. Don't worry about it. If they can read your card they are to close and need to back off!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If I was on food stamps I could careless what anyone thought or even said. The only reason i would be on it, is to get food for my children and if people have a problem with that then they can piss off. No one should ever feel ashamed for falling on hard times and needing a little bit of help.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i dont have it, but ive seen the EBT cards. and honestly, how would someone behind you know unless they know what an EBT card looks like? for all they know you're using a debit card and it didn't swipe correctly. don't be ashamed or embarassed, times are tough right now and there are a lot more people resorting to government assistance than you think. i myself have tried applying several times but somehow we "make too much"... which is bullshit.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Here in SC the cashiers at our Walmart are only scanning a small portion of the items with food stamp users. They are getting the majority free. Its a big scam here. I dont use them but no one seems to be embarrassed about using them here.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I had food stamps several years ago and I never gave a damn what anyone thought about it. At the time we needed them.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't have it, but I have friends that do. You shouldn't be embarrassed. Most people probably don't even realize that it isn't a credit card you are swiping. I understand your feelings though because I always worry about what other people think of me. If you get really self-conscious about it, maybe try shopping early in the mornings or some time that isn't busy. But really, I doubt anyone is judging you. They might get annoyed with a delay in their shopping experience, but screw them! You have to feed your family.
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• When I was a single mom I was on them, and I could care less what people said or thought. Yes I would some times get looks or hear whispers and I would turn around with a smile and say excuse me? Did you say something? Sweet as pie lol. Bullies who like to talk crap about people in need dont usually like being called out that way and shut up.

Answer by gemgem at 5:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• yes it is embarrassing. we always use the self check out so we don't have to wait in line. it's ok at stop n shop because the computer says "please swipe your card" at price chopper though it says "please select your method of ebt payment" "please swipe your card, press ebt on the card reader, and follow the instructions" the machine says it loud enough for everyone around to hear it. i hate price chopper for that but there are times we need to shop there
    Anonymous

• I'm not on them but I can say with certainty that it's very clear when you see a FS card you knwo exactly what it is. There is a sign at the door of every store I've ever been to that sells food that has a graphic of what the FS card in that state looks like. You don't even have to be close to the user to see the card. You just have to be able to see.

To the OP - Don't be embarassed if you are doing nothing wrong. It's one thing to be working and still poor and quite another to be on welfare for years and years and never bother to work.
    Anonymous

• We are on foodstamps and I'm not ashamed at all. If the government can support all the immigrants, whores, and drug addicts, then they can contribute to honest, hard working people too.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2011