Ok...so I think I have everything for my beef stew for my crock pot, I JUST NEED SOME HELP ;)

I have never made beef stew in my crock pot (dont know why). But I have the beef, carrots, potatoes, onion, beef broth, peas. Now here are my questions mommies.....Do I cook the meat first, do I season it, and how much broth do I need? Do I mix the broth with water, if so how much? Ok...last question...lol I promise. Do I have to add anything to make it better tasting, and do I have to put flower or anything to make it thicker? Thanks for any help ;)

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• They usually say to brown the meat first but you don't have to (I usually do...in some oil with onion and garlic powder). Then toss everything in the crock pot with more garlic powder. You will get more liquid as it cooks and you can always add more later if there's not enough. You'll probably have to thicken it up when the meat and veggies are done. You can either mix up some flour and water and stir it in an hour before it is done or, what I do is, take out all the meat and veggies and then pour the liquid into a pot and thicken it on the stove (quicker that way) and then mix it all back up.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Some people like to sear the meat by cooking it briefly in a pan, and you CAN coat in flour if you want to, but I rarely do. I honestly just toss it all in the slow cooker and a can of broth and turn it on
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Should I add any water to the broth or no?
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• The broth should be good enough without adding water. Plus the water will just dilute the flavor of the broth anyway. Just throw it all in the crock pot and don't even worry about it. I'm not good at cooking and every meal I have ever cooked in the crock pot has turned out wonderful!!
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I rub the roast with salt and pepper. If the meat is already cut up, I just add it in with everything else. I always put everything in it and and add water. (I don't add beef broth.) At this point there are several things that you can do for tasty variations of the same meal. (I don't use peas. I use just potatoes, carrots, onions, and sometimes green peppers.) Before you make the gravy, you should know that you have made beef broth. (You can use it to make other soups, where the recipe calls for beef broth, or you can can it in a pressure cooker.) Or, you can make the gravy to make stew. I have never used a slow cooker. I use my stock pot and cook it on the stove. You might have to drain the liquid and make the gravy in a pan. Sometimes, I make a batch of pie dough and snip pieces of the dough into the stew. (It is like chicken and dumplings only I am using beef instead of chicken.) Happy eating!
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 5:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• When I make it in my crock pot, I pepper the meat and leave it uncooked. In the crock, I put: 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can cream of celery soup, 1 packet Lipton Onion Soup mix, sliced carrots, diced potatos, and some diced onion. No water in the crock pot recipe, some water in the oven. I set it on low for 8 hours and stir it every so often. It is delicious, cheap and easy!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011