How can I get my 15 month old to sleep throughout the night and during nap times without me?

my 15 month old is still breastfeeding and is in the process of being weaned. During the day she naps and at night she sleeps from 9 to 8. We co-sleep together and when she goes to sleep I try to do things like chores, watching tv, reading a book or even my homework but she wakes up when I am not laying beside her and is really cranky. How do I break this habit?

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe try putting her in her own bed for a few nights. I can only assume it's the same as taking a pacifier away. After a few nights, she'll get used to it. I never had my kids sleep with me on a regular basis, so I might not be much help here. Sorry! Good luck!
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• let her cry to sleep in her crib. I know it sounds bad but this is a habit you need to break NOW. I used to rock my child to sleep from birth to a year and a half until my husband came in one night, took our daughter, set her in her crib and dragged me out of the room. ( he knew holding her was hurting me bc I had just had a baby and sometimes i would have to rock her ALL NIGHT) she cried for about 30-45 horrible excruciating minutes and then fell asleep.
    Its best for you and her that you break this habit.
    I even let it happen again with my other daughter. She was a breast fed baby and would only fall asleep while breast feeding or being rocked to sleep. So one day, when I just couldn't handle it anymore I finished feeding her (when i finally got her on formula) I set her in her crib, covered her up, ran like hell to hide behind something in her room and sat in there until she fell asleep.
    Its best for you both to just end
    MoonPixie

Answer by MoonPixie at 5:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Try to lay a pillow (long ways) against her. If she moves she'll think it's you. I sleep with the pillow i gave her a couple of nights so, it would have my scent on it. They know our scent!! Goodluck!!!
    kenziesmom0115

Answer by kenziesmom0115 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm having somewhat of the same problem too. I'm trying to get my kids to sleep all night long. I'm reading this book to help me. Teach Your Baby to Sleep Through the Night by Charles E. Schaefer, Ph.D. and Michael R. Petronk, Ph.D. Good Luck!!!
    momoftwins250

Answer by momoftwins250 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011