Breastfeeding question

im hoping to be able to breastfeed this time but im not sure what i will need to look at buying.

any advice would be great!

ashleywilkerson

Asked by ashleywilkerson at 5:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Some kind of support helps a lot; I like my Boppy, but it's just as doable with a regular pillow or something. You might want to get some lansinoh in case your nipple get tender, and some breast pads in case you leak. Neither of those is guaranteed, but a little bit to have on hand just in case is a good idea, and you can get more if you end up needing it. And if you're going to have to pump a good bit, like if you're going to work, a nice pump is a good idea, and bottles to put the pumped milk in. Oh, and nursing bras/tanks make things easier for me, but again, not necessary; some women just as easily pull up a sports bra.

All in all, there's not much need when breastfeeding. It's mostly personal preference.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Boppy pillow, spit up rags, a pump would be a GREAT thing to invest in and breast pads for your bra incase you leek GOOD LUCK MOMMY!!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I used a pump in the beginning to ease engorgement.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i have a boppy pillow from my last baby and i planned on getting a pump but wasnt sure where to go from there.
    ashleywilkerson

Comment by ashleywilkerson (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Nursing pads a must unless you want to change your shirt 15 times a day
    Lansinoh pretty much a must the first two three weeks are hard, as long as you troop through them your in the clear
    Boppy if you like I didn't use it past 6 weeks
    Nursing bars & or tanks
    A pump (good one if you plan to pump at work like medela) also good to get one with a car adapter. Most will also come with a hand pump just in case.
    I got a gift set of medela parts like bottles, containers, bags, extra stuff in case something breaks or is lost.
    Cloth diapers to use a burp rags and also catch the milk they like to spill it down your side and back
    Freezer bags to store milk
    Bottles for when some else needs to feed baby
    A lunch box cooler to store milk in when on the go.
    Sounds like a lot and it kinda is but its well worth it for you baby's health and you don't need to pay for formula! Or worry about running out or how you going to make a bottle.
    <
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• The only thing I really needed was my pump. I was planning on going back to work after my daughter was six weeks old so I had to have the pump. There is not a lot of stuff that you actually need and when I was in the hospital they gave me a ton of things like the cream for my nipples if they got sore and pads for if I leaked.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• lansinoh cream is the best!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• A boppy pillow is the best investment for any nursing mother. They are fantastic. You'll also need nursing bras - you can get various kinds for anywhere from $10-$60 or more. Personally I like the $15 sleep bras from the motherhood store for bedtime and hanging around the house, and the $45+ Bravado bras for out and about. You'll also want breast pads to keep from leaking all over everything.
    Good luck!
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011