Which is worse?

Your kid seeing the other parent few and far between or to never see them at all?

Bugzmomma

Asked by Bugzmomma at 5:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• never at all, it is worse for the child.

Answer by gemgem at 5:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• worse for few & far between - they come in just long enough to mess crap up and then are gone again.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm not sure there's an answer to that, from the child's persepective...

I was glad to see my father the times that I did. But it made it that much harder when I didn't see him at all. But I feel like it's good that I got the time I did. But I wouldn't have known what I was missing if he'd never been around.

See what I mean? Sometimes I think I would have been better off, emotionally, if he'd just gone away and never bothered coming back. But sometimes I'm glad to have the memories I have.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Never at all, but that's dependent on the type of father the man is. Some children have zero contact with a parent because of their death, and never being able to see them is painful.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• In my opinion it's worse to come and go then to just stay gone. You can't miss something that never occurred. My son is 5 and every time I get him to the point he's ok with dad being gone, dad shows up for a week and screws with him emotionally. Then leaves and I'm left with a hurt, abandoned, feeling unloved child. My friends daughter's father hasn't seen her since she was 2 weeks old, and that little girl has no emotional issues. As far as she's concerned she has the world's best mom (she too is 5) and that's all that matters. And when her mom got married and the guy adopted her that to her is her dad. She calls him dad and knows no other man by that term, and it makes her happy. I pray every day my son's father would just disappear and stop screwing with his little mind, because he does more and more damage every time he drags his ass around us.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2011