Have you ever had to give up a dog because of your landlord?

My DD has to give up her dog even though she has paid the extra deposit and signed an agreement. Unfortunately for her, the agreement does state that they can ask you to get rid of the dog if they see fit. Her downstairs neighbors complained about hearing it run around and occasionally bark. This dog is by no means, a troublesome dog. He barks and runs around like a dog, a light one in fact.
However, what made me chuckle is that she hears these neighbor's kids all the time yelling and screaming and banging doors. It seems that pet owners don't get many rights. What makes matters worse is that her upstairs neighbor has a German Shepard who you can hear barking very loudly and scratching. She would never in a million years complain about them because she knows that this is also a pets- allowed apartment complex.

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pets

• I'm a huge pet person so I would never live somewhere my lease states the landlord has discretion to make me get rid of pets at "their" discretion. Any idiot can get mad and cause you problems and you could lose your pet. I feel so bad this is happening and I sure hope she tries to find the dog a good home rather than just taking it to a shelter. Honestly, I'm not certain they can selectively enforce that rule - if the landlord is making HER get rid of her dog when other dogs in the building are barking then that seems like it would be discrimination and selective enforcement. She probably doesn't have money to consult with an attorney but it might be worth fighting and I would make the noisy kid people life hell with complaints to landlord (if she legitimately can). No win situation here. Sorry to hear it.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• As hard as it is, it is at the discretion of the landlord to ask you to get rid of your pet...my best advice is to talk to the landlord again...and if she still has to get rid of it, she should make sure she gets that part of her deposit back, and maybe mention to the landlord how loud the kids are....when you live in a complex you have to have respect for everyone around you....that includes if you have children or not.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I had to give up a dog once a long time ago, it broke my heart. In the town that I lived in also didn't like renting to people who had kids too.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 6:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No. We did have to pay the security deposit for the pet though. Our dog is pretty old, so there is no running around for him. Mostly, he's quite, unless someone is at the door or near. There is a dog in our complex that runs around though. The owner told me a neighbor has complained about them in the past, so yeah, I know it's possible. Can she keep the dog at home unless she walks him? We take our guy out several times a day. But, like I said, he's older and doesn't have the potty issue and running issues. Our pet deposits have always been non-refundable, so I am assuming hers is the same way? It's hard to find a rental with a pet....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'd give up my landlord before I'd give up my dog!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 12:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• NO I have not. I don't know what I would do if I had to do that. They should have spoken to the people that complained about the dog and knowing that it was a complex allowing pets. I have a dog below me that barks day in and day out. Its so annoying. I am going to put a card on her door to take it today care if she can't get the dog to stop! I am so annoyed!
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2011