Who has two dogs and how do you do it?

I am just pondering the thought of having two dogs. I have taken on a Lab and my DD has to give up her Sheltie mix. I feel terrible for her since this dog is all about her and vice versa. He's a lovable little guy and plays with my big guy when they visit.
I have the room but taking on two has got to be like having twins or something. She would help with his vet bills if it comes to taking him but man oh man, will my hubs be mad. Help!?

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pets

• Honestly, two is no worse than one... The reason I will always have 2 dogs is so they can keep each other company when we're all gone (during the day, at work). They love each other, and if one of them is gone, the other one is completely depressed. I actually got my second dog because my first one was tearing down the place whenever I left (separation anxiety), so she probably saved me money in the long run, heh. Of course, you do have twice the amount of poop to scoop, and twice the food/vet bill.

But other than that, I firmly believe 2 dogs is better than 1!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Id do it for my dd. I have two dogs myself and it honestly for me isnt that hard. They go outside together, play together, go to the vet together etc etc. If shes willing to help with cost then thats even better. My dogs granted are small dogs, but we took on my sons dog (pit mix) and made it work. Now shes back with him and all is right in the world lmao. My husband so also very angry, but he knows once I make up my mind about something, thats pretty much it.

Answer by gemgem at 6:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I have three dogs. It's not hard just means more vet bills
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I have 3 dogs and the smallest is 50lbs biggest is 100 and still growing its not that bad if u train em right my even stay inside i mean they have a fenced in yrad they go in but when they want in they come in. i have 3 dogs 2 cats and 2 bunnies and a 7 yr old autistic son lol. I work at a vet tho so i guess it comes with the job plus it really helps my son learn respons. and affection he loves them animals
    Hbabygirl476

Answer by Hbabygirl476 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• We have 6 small dogs.Most of them do everything together.It does take longer to get them fed twice a day,and get them in and out to go potty and yes more poop.(at least the poop is small).
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 10:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't even have 1 dog.
    I have 1 child and wonder how people have pets and children lol
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I have 2 dogs, 1 cat and three kids (Boys). Wondering why you are getting a dog if that means she has to give her's up?
    I'd make DH mad before I ade her do that. JMO
    T-Howe

Answer by T-Howe at 7:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I guess I wasn't clear enough. I've had a dog since Nov. and my DH lives in an apartment (separate post) who has to give him up. My DH isn't so fond of even having one in the first place. I was just wondering if it was an insane thing to have two is all.
    Philly247

Comment by Philly247 (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• it's hard some days...but then they give me those cute doggie looks and I say "Awe I am sooo glad I got you little shelter mutts" :-) okay they are shelter dogs but only one is a mutt
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:58 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Don't get the other dog unless your husband is 100% on board with you. It'll end up causing fights and he won't help care for it and you'll be miserable, as will the dog. I have 3 dogs and honestly, if you train them well and excercise them it is no different than having ONE. You walk them at the same time, feed them at the same time, they play with eachother etc- it's lovely. However it does mean twice the amount of food, twice the vet/vaccination bills and twice the grooming etc. But also twice the rewards :)
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 5:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2011