If your pharmacy made this mistake?

My doctor called in a prescription for me and I picked it up. I didn't look at the bottle but the paper on the outside of the bag looked right.

Well when I got home and was about to take my MUCH NEEDED nausea medicine I realized it looked funny! It was in a silver capsule. It looked Way to0 big to swallow. Under further inspection I saw where it said "This medicine is an off-white suppository" ... Well, the instructions said to swallow one every 4-6 hours so I was pretty sure there had been a mistake.

I returned, they fixed it and apologized. The medicine itself was the same - they'd just given me the suppository instead of the oral pill. The oral pill costs 25% what the suppository did! So I was relieved about that too once they fixed it.

How upset would you be by this? I feel like worse things have happened in the world - no biggie. They fixed it... but then I started thinking how easily they could have mixed up the medicine itself and I might not have noticed.

I am glad I noticed, and no harm done.

angelmommy11

Asked by angelmommy11 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Health

• I would be taken back but not mad. i too always check my meds before taking them. PPl are only human and make mistakes sometimes. So Id be def happy that I noticed but I wouldnt make a huge deal out of it. Glad you noticed! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Our pharmacy did make a mistake one time - only they caught it before I could. Funny thing was they weren't sure if they screwed up, and it turned out they hadn't. Didn't bother me a bit, since they called and gave the the heads up.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't be to mad, however, it is a good think you looked and was aware of what you were taking...I am horrified that some people trust the techs so much that they don't even look at the bottle to see what they were given.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Ok. Here's the deal. The pharmacy should have a checks and balance system. The good ones will be checked and signed off before they give it to you. There is a problem with your pharmacy. Do not go back there . . . you never know what else they are overlooking, datewise.

Also, how would you double-check a liquid?

I used to work at a pharmacy. Mistakes should not happen.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm upset that my doctor gave me a suppository and not the oral pill!! I just had some medication prescribed to me for nausea as well and the doctor prescribed a suppository.. I hate them!!
    MissLoveLyfe

Answer by MissLoveLyfe at 6:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Well, on a different note, the suppository does work faster.... LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I am happy that you noticed that that would be horrible to swallow. there is a girl in my area who got a wrong prescription from the pharmacy she ended up taking it and it was a cancer/abortion pill. She is not sure what is going to happen to her baby so scary!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 11:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• ChanQ - that is super scary! I hope she and her baby are ok.
    angelmommy11

Comment by angelmommy11 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Mar. 18, 2011