Mother's of gay bisexual or lesbian children

How many women on Cafemom have a son or daughter that is Bi, Gay or Lesbian?

How did you handle it when they came out?

Jersey_class

Asked by Jersey_class at 6:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• bump
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't have a child who is.. but my best friend is a gay male. His mother was sad when he told her and she thinks prayer will make it go away. But he is living his life happily and she just chooses not to be in that part of his life.. like she doesn't ask him about who he is dating.. nor will she ever want to meet any of his boyfriends..
    MissLoveLyfe

Answer by MissLoveLyfe at 6:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• That's sad. =/
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I happen to be a lesbian and have been with my partner for 3 years and we r expecting our second child together in september...i came out to my mom when i was 18..i am now 23...it was hard but my mother took it REALLY REALLY hard n i knew she would which is why it took me so long to tell her..she didnt mind that i told her i was bi at age 14 because she figured it was a phase n since i was still dating guys it was no big deal...but once i told her i was a lesbian her dreams of marriage and grandchildren were crushed which is why i think she took it so hard..and i dont believe in marriage so the most i could do was show her i could indeed give her grandbabies so me n my partner found a guy in 2009 willing to impregnate me so we could have our first kid and then again in november of 2010 we found someone else willing enough to give us a second baby..i am currently 16 weeks pregnant n soooo happy
    Luvinmykids225

Answer by Luvinmykids225 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Congrats on your family!
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• anyways my point is....lol...that now that i have given my mother grandchildren she has calmed down alot and accepts me and my partner and our children as we are....but it doesnt always work out that way for other people and its sad that even int he 21st century people are still so close minded
    Luvinmykids225

Answer by Luvinmykids225 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• thanks!!! its kinda difficult being pregnant n dealing with a toddler in her terrible twos but we make it work..if you dont mind me asking..why do you ask such a question?
    Luvinmykids225

Answer by Luvinmykids225 at 6:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm bisexual; I came out to my mom when I was 14 in a letter; she told me it was phase. She won't talk about it to me.
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• well, you did your part by coming out to her...my mom was like that for a really long time she didnt wanan talk about it at ALL...alot of parents think "bi-sexuality" is a phase becuz u r still straddling the fence so they think you are "confused"..some parents just dont get it lol if you had told her you were a lesbian i guarantee she would have freaked out ....atleast she is still talking to you..all you can do is wait til she is ready and hopefully once she realizes its not a phase she will come around and if she indeed loves you she will talk to you about it...how old r u now?
    Luvinmykids225

Answer by Luvinmykids225 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm going to be 23 in april. My fiance is a male I've been with for 4 years. My mom makes jokes like remember when you were in your experimental phase? I'm like uuuuh it wasn't a phase and she says "I had that phase in college when I'd drink" like omg LOL I can't get through to her - My fiance is Christian and says if our children are gay he will love them but he doesn't know how he'd deal with it
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011