Freakin out!!! (Down Syndrome)??

Ok so my baby failed the triple quad screening for down syndrome as well as my son did who turned out to just be a false positive for down syndrome. I went in for the ultrasound today they found 1 out 4 markers for down syndrome cysts on her brain.. I had the amnio done results will be back on next friday if she for sure has it or not. Just wondering if anyone out there had this happen to them where the baby was fine or did for a fact have down syndrome. Please no rude answers no i will not love my baby any less no I dont look down on people living with this but I dont thinkit makes me a bad person for wanting my baby to be perfectly healthy.. Any positive answers are much appricieated!! Thanks.

Destins_Mommy

Asked by Destins_Mommy at 6:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• God Bless you and your baby I will be praying for you and your lil angel
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I haven't been in your situation but I wanted to just let you know you and your baby will be in my thoughts. Let us know, hun! I hope everything turns out fine, either way!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My best friend had it happen. The doctors all wanted her to abort the baby. There was no way she could or would do that and we just made sure she had a great support network so when the baby was born she had all the help she needed. She had her in Aug and the baby was completely healthy and not down syndrome. She failed the tests and had 2 markers.

Answer by gemgem at 6:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If you haven't already, call your perinatologist office and ask to speak with the genetic counselor. They all have one that they consult with, and it shouldn't be an issue for you to talk on the phone with him/her for free. They will run through the numbers with you and possibly give you advice.

My daughter came up with a echogenic fulci in her heart. The perinatologist told me this was a marker for downs and told me that he recommended amnio. I spoke with the genetic counselor who gave me the numbers and then said, "I f you were my sister, I would tell you not to get amnio. The risk ratio for amnio is higher than the risk for Downs." They can give you opinions that the doc cannot because of legal reasons.

It could help alot to get a different point of view.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Honestly, everything is a guess except for the amnio, so I'd try to stay calm until you have those results back.... Everything could still be perfectly normal. I'm always considered high risk, based on my age alone, but I know the screening has so many false positives, I didn't even bother with it this pregnancy, I just had the amnio done.

Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It didn't happen to me but to my cousin. She was told that her son had Downs Syndrome and to terminiate the pregnancy. She said no, she would deal with it. Turns out that the tests were wrong and her son was born perfectly healthy!!! NO test is 100% accurate.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Try to take a deep breath Momma and relax, even thought it's hard. The stress is not good for you or the baby. The amnio is the best decision for you. Once you get your amnio results back then you will have the answers you need. I wish you luck and there is nothing wrong with wanting your baby to be healthy. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• they said that my baby would have down syndrome and it turns out that she dont and she had alot of signs pointing to down syndrome good luck hon
    devlynsmommy08

Answer by devlynsmommy08 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• my BFF was told her DD would have it, but she was born perfectly healthy!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• ((((HUGS))))
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 7:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2011