Black or African American?

Why do some people take offence to the word "Black" and why do some people take offence to being called "African American"?

I'm biracial, I'm half white and half hispanic and I see this issue in the hispanic community sometimes with Latin, Hispanic, Spanish and ect.

Jersey_class

Asked by Jersey_class at 6:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't get it myself and I'm black....I'm not offended when people refer to me as black, I'm not offended when people refer to me as African-American.....the only thing that offends me is when people refer to me as a n*gger...I don't let other black people call me this either. That's a no-no
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Not all African Americans are Black and not all Blacks are African Americans. My best friend is Black but she's not AA. She gets annoyed because people just assume that she is AA.
    I knew an AA in college who is White. She was born in Africa, migrated to America at a young age & became an American citizen. She had SO MANY problems in college because people kept telling her that she's not African American; but in fact- she is!
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't get it either. I mean my family has different hubbies, Blk & Hispanic. we even have a mixed little girl too. NOBODY thinks or loves them any differently. I guess it just goes along with others being nasty and hateful.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 6:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• hmm idk i would like to see some of the responses
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Maybe they get upset because African American assumes that they are African, which they may not be. Black refers solely to the color of their skin so it can be offensive because there are so many other ways you could describe someone other than BLACK, WHITE, YELLOW.... etc. There are plenty of other places that "black" people hail from such as Trinidad, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, etc. not just Africa so I can see how they could be offended by someone's ignorance of such knowledge.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 6:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Im not sure but it does irk me. You hear White more than you hear Caucasion so whats the big deal? I would like to know too because it never made sense to me. Why is one politcally correct and not the other? And what if you are black and not from African desent? Its def a general issue/question
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm Puertorican Dominican Irish and Scottish My birth father is verrryyyyyy dark and my mother is very white so Alot people assume I'm Italian [I was adopted by Italians]- But what about Dark skinned people who aren't caribbean.
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i would love the answer to this cause my daughter that is Dominican cause of me and Jewish American cause of her father is already haven a hard time well i am cause im dark skin and people assume im the fucken nanny a lot of people especially in the Dominican community think im black/white not even Hispanic so really i want to know whats going on
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011