California/West Coast Moms

What are you feelings on the threat of radiation reaching your area by wind? My dad lives in CA and is not worried at this point. He also works for a nuclear plant and knows a lot more about the potential. How do you feel? Are you worried or just ready to do whats necessary? TIA!!!

BTW Im in Nj on the east coast so this stuff def intrigues me =)

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Health

• Honestly, I haven't even given it a second thought. And I'm about 10 miles from the coast...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I have talked to my daughter's teacher. Her class may be staying inside instead of playing in the yard at recess. The government does not have an excellent history of acknowledging the ill effects of nuclear accidents.

Other moms I know will be forgoing the playground tomorrow.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm not worried. It feels like the media is only trying to create panic.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• This area is hyper-sensitive because of all of the Cancer and death occurring as a result of the Santa Susanna Field Lab. We watch our friends and family conitnue to get sick and drop off while the government tries to keep it hush-hush. Many community members do not want it talked about because they are afraid of their home values dropping further.
    You cannot trust it when you are told that radiation is safe . . . . it catches up to you eventually.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• ImaginationMama - what you're describing sounds like a lot of what happened in Kettleman Hills and various small towns around California because of PG&E contaminating everything. Not radiation, I know - but you have a point about not being told all we need to know when we need to know it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yes, Kettlemen has a much higher baby mortality rate. That is where our toxic waste is trucked to. It is also surrounded by some of the stankiest cattle farms you will ever see. The citizens there are trying to resist more toxins from coming in . . . .

Where I grew up, around Santa Susanna, I can't tell you what a common converstion cancer is . . . rare cancers. No one keeps accurate statistics. They still don't know how they will clean up the site, without kicking up all of the contamination.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• We're not worried, but we are staying aware. We're prepared either way. I'm 20 minutes from the coast in So.Cal.
    clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• When I can see and smell something awful, I'll start to worry ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm not really worried much as well.
    LdawgsGurl

Answer by LdawgsGurl at 7:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• im not concerned i mean it has to get all the way past the philapinnis and hawii plus did it affect us when they atom bombed japan? same thing
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011