Is it normal.?

okay so i watch my neighbors kid. he turned two back in sept, my son will be turning two this sat coming up.. okay my question is.. my child talks alot.. but my neighbours kid doesnt talk at all.. he bearly does anything he sits their and stares at everyone kind of creepy, but i dont want to tell her mom maybe theirs something wrong with your kid, when he might just be a late bloomer.. so my question is at the age of two should this child be speaking? playing? destroying? something!?
let me add he weighs like 25 lbs when my son weighs about 35 to 40 lbs is that normal?

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• I know that my oldest was very small for his age and he talked all the time. he was talking in complete sentences at 2 and he only weighed abut 25 lbs. My middle child did not talk until he was about 2 1/2 and even then he did not always talk in sentences and at this age he was about 30 lbs.

I guess my point is that ever child is different and he may just be that a late bloomer. If you are concerned you could mention something to her or ask how he is at home. If there really is something wrong she may not know yet, or she might know and she just is not comfortable talking about it.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Every child is different.But I may say if there is anything wrong she probibly knows or has a hunch.I am sure her pediatric dr would tell her if there is a problem...
    scoke19

Answer by scoke19 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• well see thats where the thing is, he spends the whole day in the crib when she's home.. because its her time not his. i see a problem with that.. i dont know about you guys. and the last time she took him to the doc. was for his one yr shots. but even then, i dont know many children that will sit with a blank stare and just sit their, he does not play, doesnt talk, nothing.. and i am growing concerned when you talk to him.. he stares like he doesnt hear you or see you or something.. i dont know... my thing is, i want to talk to her about it but i dont know how to come about it. because i feel bad, i dont want her to think that its because "Oh your jealous!" you know how some mothers can be... but i dont know.. help ?
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would maybe ask her in a nice way what kinds of things he likes to do at home. When my youngest used to go to other people's houses, he would kind of act like that... he just didn't like being in a new place, I think. He also wasn't used to being around a bunch of other people. Maybe the mom could bring some of his own toys from home. That might help a little.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 8:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• His weight is fine. My daughter weighed 28 pounds when she turned two. 27 pounds is the 50% mark. 35 pounds is off the chart for a two year old.

At two, he may or may not talk much. But he should make his wants known and he should use a few words. Most use short sentences but not all.

He should also be active. Running around, getting into things, learning and exploring.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I see in a later post that he spends his days in a crib. That is WRONG. It is harming him badly. If you don't feel comfortable talking to her, then you need to make an annoymous call to CPS. If you talk to her and she blows you off, call CPS. Whatever you do, make certain someone knows the harm she is doing to the child.

If you want to understand just how badly he is being harmed, do a quick internet search on Romanian orphans. I am not kidding... call CPS.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• His weight is fine. My daughter weighed 28 pounds when she turned two. 27 pounds is the 50% mark. 35 pounds is off the chart for a two year old. <<<-- to that all i have to say is my son was born at 10lbs 6 ounces its normal for him! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• First, my son is two and weighs only 28 llbs. He is very normal for his height and weight. Most children are over weight but don't appear that way b/c we are so used to "normal" as being something else. My son also sees a nutritionist so I know he is exactly where he should be - but I am sure other parents of bigger children look at him and think he looks tiny. On the flip side, perhaps your neighbor's son is delayed or does have some developemental issues/disorder. How does that impact you? Unless your neighbor directly asks for your imput my suggestion is to keep the peace and say nothing. I am sure his mother has eyes and most mothers compare their children to others. Perhaps she is thinking that your child is so over active for his age. You never know. So let it go and enjoy all the milestones your son celebrates.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:08 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I just saw the post you made about him sitting in his crib all day... I don't think that's right either. Maybe you should call CPS like someone else suggested. That could seriously stunt his development. I can't imagine doing that to one of my kids!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I could not agree with you more. I believe that a crib is for sleep and sleep only. If I am trying to get something done around the house, or even get a shower in, I either wait until my son is taking a nap or I put him in a play pen. He never went in his crib other than that. It is detrimental to that little boys health. Kids should be around other kids, people, toys educational things. I would step up and say something just find the nicest words possible. I found myself in a similar situation before, a friend of mine had 3 kids. one 3 one almost 2 and a 4 month old. Her 4 month old did not know what anything but her car seat. she would have a propped bottle constantly sleep in her car seat. It drove me crazy so i spoke up. You should too!!! Good luck!!!
    Caleb080906

Answer by Caleb080906 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 25, 2008