Is it okay to feed my two year old baby food still?

She never seems to eat if I give her, her own food she just play in it. And she won't eat off my plate more then a few bites. But if I feed her the jared dinners and meat sticks she will scarf down two jars of each even the veggies she will eat in the jars.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think she should be moving on to solid food by now. Have you asked her doctor about it? what do they say? No offense, but it sounds more like your dd knows she can just sit and wait and you will give her what she wants.
    Anonymous

• Give her tablefood. Unless she has a medical reason for eating babyfood, she needs to be eating tablefood. STOP letting her have the babyfood and she will eat the regular food.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I did ask the doctor he said as long as eating healthy. Shes not eating it everyday sometime I fix her a plate but she plays in it more then she will eat it. At least this way she eats and its not a huge mess I mean huge mess like she will put yogurt in her hair and rub it all over her face or dip her food in her juice and smear it all around or fling it. And shes always asking for milk i think its because she is hungry but would rather drink then eat. The doctor said no more then 3cups a day because we were going through a gallon every other day.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Always offer the table foods but do what you have to do to satisfy her. Have you asked your pediatrician if she could have sensory or texture issues?
    Anonymous

• I don't think she has any issues other then shes lazy lol she would still let me hold her sippy cup if i wanted too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• When my kids don't want to eat the food on their plate. I take the plate away and act like I'm eatting it and I ask them if they want a bit and some times they want one but i have to feed it to them or else they will throw it on the floor. Another thing I try doing is like the airplane and have the food fly into their mouths. I was just thinking if she will eat baby food from you than just maybe she will eat soild food from you and than once shes eatting solid food from you, you can move onto getting her to eat her own food. Good Luck!
    momoftwins250

Answer by momoftwins250 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It's normal for young kids to play with their food and make a mess. But kids and things are washable. My son has gotten to a point where he wants nothing cheese (string or American) so we don't allow him in the fridge and if he doesn't eat his dinner, we take the plate and he gets it back as a snack. Some moms seem to be afraid their child will starve but once they get hungry enough, they will eat what you've given them. They won't starve themselves to death. the way I was raised and the way I raise my son. I am not a short order cook and you will eat more than one food group.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• it has all the nutritional value, but i'm sure it's expensive to keep up with. technically, as an adult you could eat it and be perfectly fine. she should be eating solid food by this point. actually she should have started a while back, but it's not going to hurt her. if you would like her to start eating solid foods, try taking her to somewhere like mcdonalds occasionally to eat. she'll see the other kids her age eating happy meals and she will probably want to mimic them. if she realizes other kids eat "big girl food" she might start too.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If she'll only eat food from a jar, prepare your regular table food for her and stick it in a jar for her dinner... Tricky!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• all of this sounds like a child who is throwing a tantrum until you give in. The reasoning that you are worried about nutrition is just an excuse for you to give in. Any doctor will tell you that she will eat when she is hungry enough, she will not starve. She is learning to "play" you and that is a VERY bad habit to get into. You are letting her run you instead of you getting her to listen and do what you say. If you don't get control of this now you are in for many years of frustration.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2011