How do I stop our toddler from hitting us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your not being firm enough. NO means NO in my house... and when I say NO they know me
    and DH mean it ..............................................................................................................................................
    Anonymous

• FIRMLY tell your child NO, that hurts then move away. DO NOT hit back or spank...it will just make it into a game.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• State firmly and without anger that it is not allowed. Anticipate it and hold his arm when you say it. If you do time outs use that too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• definitely be firm and consistant. if he doesnt listen after a warning he needs a consequence
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Me and my sister both have sons that are 21 months old. They both started hitting around the same time and I took the "strict NO and a time out" routine and my sister went with the "strict No and a hand slap". You can usually tell when they are about to hit and when I look at my son and give him a warning before he even attempts he stops right then. My sister, on the other hand, pretty much started a game with her son she slaps his hand and it provokes him to hit back even harder. My sister is now trying TOs, but do remember that kids express their anger differently and sometimes get so frustrated it leads to hitting.... so I always try to figure out why he (my son) is hitting in the first place.
    amygoetsch

Answer by amygoetsch at 11:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• For a toddler it's best to distract or substitute the negative behavior with one that is acceptable. For example,when your toddler hits say firmly while holding his hands, "Hitting hurts." Take him over to a stuffed pillow and say, "You can't hit me / the cat but you can hit this pillow." If you do this consistently over a period of time you will see progress.  The approach would be different for an older child. www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 8:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2011