Suicidal B-I-L. adult content

I'm really hoping to NOT get bashed... okay? My husband's and my life has been flipped upside down. We're currently living with my in-laws until we can get back on our feet.

We didn't know when we moved in, but, my B-I-L has been a heavy drug user and he hadn't gotten off the drugs. He hasn't had any drugs in a while because he hasn't been able to afford them (I do not agree with drug use at all, moving in scared me to death), and his personality has flipped a switch. He's usually a very caring and attentive individual, and granted, the stress levels around here are insane and enough to make anyone cranky. We're all sick with a mystery bug and we're trying to pick up the pieces of our lives.

I don't know what to do... he keeps giving me these cryptic messages and instructions about making sure his mom gets taken care of (I've been taking care of her, but there's only so much I can do, she really does need to go to the hospital but she keeps refusing and paramedics say she's "of right mind" so they can't just take her without her direct permission) and today he was out in the garage sobbing. He has been suicidal in the past from what I understand, but everyone is so "used" to this no one cares... I'm not sure what's more disturbing--that he's suicidal and has attempted suicide in the past, or that his family doesn't care anymore, if they ever did...

Do I call the police and REALLY flip things upside down (aka have all the in-laws hate me--it's a long story--and lose a roof over our head), call an ambulance and have the hospital take him in for suicide watch, call the mental hospital...? I'm still so very new to this town and I've never been faced with anything like this. This mess is so deep... I'm freaking out. I'm not the kind of person to just stand by watch while someone is suffering... but I'm at a total loss. I'm so terrified for him, terrified for everyone here... and I'm terrified I'll have blood on my hands and more guilt and blame to add to my hyper-active conscience.

Sorry this is long.

EDIT - I feel I have to add that we have a new gun in the house. It's my husband's .40 Glock for work (officer)... we've both been very worried he'll be tempted to destroy the locked up case--he has already destroyed a safe to get to pain killers. So, yes, he does have access to weapons, including his own collection of knives. He just randomly snaps... I've never, never been around people like this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Health

• You might call 1-800-273-8255. It is a crisis hotline and you can ask for advice as to how you should proceed. Many times there is simply nothing you can do unless the family wants to do an intervention. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Please call a local mental health center or hospital and ask some advice from them. If he is really THREATENING to kill himself and has pills or weapons or something you can call the police they can take him into custody and get him to a hospital and get him some help!
    DegaMomto2Girls

Answer by DegaMomto2Girls at 7:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Does he have an old therapist or counselor? Or a recent drug rehab counselor? If he does, give them a call and let them take the reigns.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Even if you try to get help...one thing I learned a long time ago...if they really want to end their life, they will. There's nothing you can do about it. You can try. It might even prolong his life. I have a feeling the family thinks he's just bluffing, maybe trying to get attention. Their attitude won't help. You can try talking to him. Look online for natural foods that help with depression. Make sure curtains or blinds are open, let sunshine in. Open windows for fresh air if you can. Try to be cheerful and positive. It does rub off. Don't participate in negative talk.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 7:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011