Why is Marijuana illegal?

Many people assume that marijuana was made illegal through some kind of process involving scientific, medical, and government hearings; that it was to protect the citizens from what was determined to be a dangerous drug

You'll also see that the history of marijuana's criminalization is filled with:

Racism

Fear

Protection of Corporate Profits

Yellow Journalism

Ignorant, Incompetent, and/or Corrupt Legislators

Personal Career Advancement and Greed

These are the actual reasons marijuana is illegal.

http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html

Friday

Asked by Friday at 8:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• it should be legal considering that it's less harmful than alcohol
    Anonymous

• Lots of folks pushing for legalization here in the great state of Hawaii.
    I have mixed feelings. I mean, I really can see how it is a "gateway drug", but then again, so is alcohol. And I think drugs besides Marijuana are just really sick and terrible.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Why did I capitalize marijuana? :)
    sfwilson

• it should be legal. less harmful than a ciggy, perfect locale to grow it, and it would be an excellent taxable crop.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Fiveofakind2 it should be legal. less harmful than a ciggy, perfect locale to grow it, and it would be an excellent taxable crop.
    ***************************************
    I agree. lets start taxing this crop and help the economy
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 8:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• sf: because it deserves to be!
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It is legal because the government makes more money keeping it illegal than legalizing it. I have a substance abuse concentration in my bachelors degree.....
    Anyways, did you all know that this country spends more on drug trafficing on education. Now, yes, heroin, crystal meth, cocain, etc should be illegal....they are clinically harmful to the brain. But this country spends A LOT more money on trafficing drugs than they do on our education. That is just crazy.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My husband and I often have this debate. He is for the legalization of all drugs and I of course am against it. I get so mad at him! He goes into the history of marijuana and other drugs and how they came to be illegal. Yes, racism, fear, corportate greed (king cotton didn't want to compete with hemp), and many other factors. I acknowledge that. But at the same time I don't want it to be legal. For too many reasons to post here. Granted my husband, and many others, make a solid case - but it still doesn't sit well with me. I have sat in the ER with rape victims where drugs were involved, worked with mothers who hated themselves and their addiction, and known teens with serious drug problems that started from smoking pot - I just can't see it happening.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I think it is a gateway drug. And even when it doesn't lead to worse drugs, it leads to wasted lives. I personally know 3 people who use it and one who quit. The one who quit is about 10 years behind in his career. He should be making good money, have a good job position. Instead he's only a little about a new higher. He's not a 40 year old still living at home but not by much. The other 3 are still stuck in childhood. One still lives at home. One bounces from friend's place to friend's place, unable to hold a job or an apartment. One is slowly fighting the addiction and trying to reclaim his life. After years of work, he is finally making some progress in his career instead of "blowing smoke dreams". I have hope for him but not the other two.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Kaycee, I can post studies stating that mj doesn't lead to harder drug use. Most people start on alcohol.

I'm sorry you know some losers that are pot smokers but that doesn't make all stoners losers. I know many successful stoners, doctors, lawyers, executives, teachers..... They just don't advertise so you would never know it.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2008