So, I just read a response to a question that included something about menopause onset by tubal ligation... How often does this happen? Anyone? And would you/have you had your tubes tied, & if so, do you regret it? How/what has it changed in your life?

I'm a 23yr.old Mom of three with one on the way, & two of my children (5yr.old twin boys) are autistic, meaning they require alot of attention & assistance. I also have a 1yr.old daughter, who is developing typically, yet also requires alot of help & attention, being the baby & only girl (new baby's a boy). I just dont think it would be fair or sensible to have anymore... Ever. Any other sure-fire alternatives to not procreating...?!

LUVmyBOYZ615

Asked by LUVmyBOYZ615 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Vasectomy for your husband/SO
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I had a tubal 7 years ago and have no problems. I was scheduled for one 18 years ago but couldn't do it and had 3 more kids ... You know in your heart when you are ready. Vasectomy is always an option!
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yes, Vasectomy!
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 8:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I had a tubal when I was 22 (4 years ago) after my 3rd child was born. I deeply regret it for the health problems it has caused. I would advise against it, period. There are other, better BC options.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Nothing is without risk. So you need to research what is going to be best for you. As far as the tubal and menopause, I always heard that after having a tubal you were at increase of having to have a hysterectomy. There are studies that show that men that have a vasectomy are at increased risk of getting prostate cancer. I didn't find anything linking tubal ligation and hysterectomy or cancer. You can also try Essure but, it hasn't been out long so, I am not sure if I would trust it. Anytime you stop the normal function of the human body, there will be side effects.

www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/vasectomy
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I had one back in July after having my 5th child and I haven't noticed any difference in my life. Everything works just like it did before.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I got my tubes tied after I had our 5th child. My periods were terrible and then I ended up having an ectopic pregnancy in '10. Now I may have to have a hysterecomy, because I have endometriosis and cysts on my ovaries. The whole situation pisses me off, because my DH was suppose to get a vasectomy before he got out of the navy and never did.
    steelersgrl05

Answer by steelersgrl05 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Thanks you guys, for all your input, & sorry to those of you who experienced adverse side affects... Guess I have alot of research to do... Either that or convince S/O to get a vasectomy!
    LUVmyBOYZ615

Comment by LUVmyBOYZ615 (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2011