Personal question(s) re: thrush... adult content

DD got thrush about 2 weeks ago, when she was 2 wks old. It's getting better in her mouth, but I had no idea I'd get it on my breasts... OUCH!!!!! They're REALLY sore and it hurts VERY VERY much to nurse but I grab a receiving blanket and clamp down with my teeth so I can bear through it. I looked and there's actually a crack at the base of each nipple and it looks like they're starting to come off!!! :`( Anyway I posted about this previously and someone said it can show up in their diaper area too - I'm noticing big bumps in her diaper area... not a rash that I've seen before with her older sister... I've been slathering on the Desitin & I'm not sure it's working.
ANYWAY... I noticed about the same time her thrush started that I started to get itching "down there" and also a not-so-nice smelling discharge, something I've never had before, and then it started to get sore. I went to the doc & at the time they didn't see anything out of the ordinary - they even took a sample & looked under the microscope. But they Rx'd me a cream anyway and I've been using it but today, OMG it's so sore I can barely walk!! I took a mirror down there & it's VERY red and swollen. :( Is this also part of the thrush? Could it have spread to my girl parts too?? Geez, I never heard of Thrush before, DD#1 never had it, and wow this stuff is RELENTLESS!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Health

• Thrush is a fungal infection, you need antifungals. Most Drs will prescribe Nystatin which only has a 50% success rate. For baby's mouth I'd recommend gentian violet. My youngest son and I got thrush and my LC recommended it for us after two courses of Nystatin did nothing. It is very messy, very dark purple and will stain anything it comes in contact with, but worked like a charm! I was told to swab baby's mouth and my nipples with it once a day for 7 days, I've heard other dosages though too. What I did was dip a q-tip in the bottle (it comes as a liquid) and swab all around his mouth, inside the cheeks, under the tongue, the whole mouth. Then I'd nurse him right away so my nipples would get treated too. It also kept him from drooling purple all over.

For the diaper area you can use a topical yeast infection cream. If it is a fungal infection Desitin won't heal it, but the antifungal yeast infection stuff will.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm sorry but I believe the answer is yes to all of the things you mention. Thrush is a "common" yeast infection, and it is called thrush when it's in the mouth. Ask the doctor about treatment for yourself at the same time as threating the baby. HUGS to you and good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You both need to see the dr, Soundslike some antibiotice are needed as well. Good luck!!
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2011