Why do people care so much about what other people do?

Do people really have nothing better to do than talk about other people all the time? I seriously have to tell my mom and some friends and family to just shut up because it's like that's ALL they do and they can't seem to find anything else to talk about. If a neighbor walk outside in PJs, they talk about it. If they see a woman with a bad hair cut at the grocery store, they talk about it. What is it about women and gossiping? Am I the only person who just doesn't really care what people do so long as it isn't hurting me or my family?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 8:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't like the gossiping either, my IL's tend to do this about all the other family members (and probably when we're not around - we're the subject). Sometimes it's the only way people relate, to rant about others. Makes them feel better about themselves I suppose.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Am I the only person who just doesn't really care what people do so long as it isn't hurting me or my family?
    ---------------------------------------
    With my sister, it's celebrity gossip. I DO NOT CARE!!! I have literally made her MAD at me because I told her that! I have enough drama and bullsh*t in my life. I do not have the desire to live vicariously through people who just happen to mnake more money than me. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I must admit, I love people watching! Sometimes whomever I'm with and i will create our own narrative to people across the room/park/etc. based on the body language. So much fun! Now talking about everyone's business isn't cool. It's one thing to catch up with your friends about whats been going on, but that " Oh did you hear Mary and Bob were fighting again? I think they're gonna split up" type of gossip is rude and disrespectful of peoples privacy.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• people watching is different from people talking. i like t people watch, we're all so different & unique. People are beautiful & interesting, that is why i like to people watch. Many of my friends gossip, if it becomes too much i just say...i gotta go. I have put my foot down if it was something that was not true, or if it was said for the purpose to hurt someone else & start rumors. I don't like hateful gossip at all. But you know, girls gab. I know what is going on with everyone just from one friend...lol, she is not rude about it. She is just nosy...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I do like talking about other people and what they're up to, but I like happy endings. Ie, "What's up with your niece. Is she engaged yet?" or "Sandy and Chris seem so happy together. Are they building the house on their new lot yet?". I'm a SAHM. My topics of conversation are pretty limited, so it's either the politics minefield, childhood memories, the kids or other people.

Talking about people to pick them apart, I'm not a fan of. But talking about people you know and what they're up to, especially before you're going to see them, is more enjoyable to me. But they're both gossip, I suppose.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I agree with Tracys2 on this.. I would rather talk about the good going on then the bad..
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No, ur not alone. I used to be like that until I matured!
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Women gossip and talk bad about other women because it is their way of lessening their own insecurities.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i don't know either i guess they are just bored out of their skulls
    tell mom to pick up a different hobbie
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My family does that with celebrities like we have no business of our own. My mother, grandmother, and aunt will literally call each other when their soaps are on and talk about the characters like real life. My sister and I will pass judgment on celebrities every time a fresh story comes across the news...as if we have a personal stake in what the hell they do. If it annoys me that we are like that...I can only imagine what the people around us think about it!! LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2011