Name Stealers?

I was talking to this girl who is due around the same time as I am. She asked me if I had any names picked out yet and I told her my boy name and my girl name. The next day she she was going around telling everyone that she was going to name her baby MY girl name! She completely stole my babies name!!!!

How pissed off would you be if someone did this? Would you say something to her? Would you pick out a different name even though you were in love with the one the girl stole?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Baby Names

• You can't "own" a name. For future reference, don't tell anyone what the name will be then it can't be "stolen". However imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I would not care if someone else chose the same name for their child. And no, I wouldn't change a name if i absolutely loved it. I'd still use it. Next time you hear her tell someone about it say "Yes, I love it. Aren't you glad I suggested it??" Of course be prepared for some backlash. It's really nothing to get your panties in a knot over.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• what a bxtch! I am with you, girlfriend. If she had thought about the same name, she should have said it on the spot, like "how funny, I actually have the same girl name". The fact that she didn't say that suggests strongly that she stole your girl name. Sure you don't have the full right to the name, but it's a unspoken courtesy among mom's. This is what I would do, still name your baby the name you love...and confront the other woman. Have your points/argument rehearsed in your head...it's not that I am into confrontation or revenge, but this way you get it off your chest, get some kind of satisfaction to see this name stealer squearm, and be completely over this episode by the time your precious cargo arrives. (by the way, my best friend from highschool did that to me, 2 GIRL NAMES!! Ugh...but she had girls before I had my girls, what can I do, right?) Needless to say, we are not that close anymore.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I wouldnt let this stand in your way of naming your baby a name you really love. Esp if she isnt a friend, then it wouldnt matter.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Lol I don't think I would be upset at all....I would take it as a compliment, name my baby whatever I was going to name her from the beginning and skip on down my merry way
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i would be pissed unless she admitted she got the idea from you while telling everyone the name she decided.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 8:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It isn't at ALL possible that she could have happened to have the name on her list too? Besides, believe it or not more than one person can have a name. Names aren't really in the catagory of calling dibs on them. It isn't like she is your sister and your kids will be playing together all the time. Just name your child whatever you like and be happy for her.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 8:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• that is odd...personally I dont tell anyone the name till like right before labor or after they are born...no reason really just like to have that one thing kind of private:)
    Anonymous

• Oh and don't forget she may end up having a boy. Ultrasounds can be wrong.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• OMG! I have been with my LP since I was 15, but I had one long term boyfriend before that who I have kept in touch with throughout the years. Anyway, a few years ago, he got married and after about a year they started trying for a baby. When they found out they were having a girl, he told me they were going to name the baby "Blythe" which is my oldest daughter's name...because they loved it and couldn't think of anything better than that!

I was FLOORED. Um...no! They ended up using another name by the time she was born, but I was seriously freaked out by that!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My cousin did that, but I didn't really care. I always wanted to name my daughter Carly. Then the summer olympics came on in 2004, and she fell in love with Carly Patterson at age 16, so then she was going to name her daughter Carly. I always assumed I'd have a daughter first, since I'm 6 years older than her. But nope, she did. She named her first born Karleigh. All along I had planned to name any future daughter I might have Carly, despite what she named her daughter, and we were both okay with that. But lately I'm loving Piper more and more, so it might not even matter.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2011