If you're child was suddenly switched classes/teachers in the middle of the school year would you want an explanantion as to why?

My Kindergartner was suddenly switched classes a couple weeks ago before Spring Break. He came home telling me he went to Ms. B's class today cause Ms. R (his teacher) was sick. The next day he said the same thing. I figured they just couldn't find a substitute. Everyday up until last Friday I asked him who's class he went to that day and he told me everday Ms. B's class. Then on Wednesday last week he got a note on his behavior calender that said "Welcome to Ms. B's class!" So I wrote back asking why were his classes switched and she never wrote me back. We got no letter, no phone call, no response from his new teacher.... nothing!

Would you demand an answer from the school? I think it's ridiculous they're not keeping the parents informed of what's happening with their childrens' classes. I'm probably going to go up to the school on MOnday and tell them I'm not leaving till I have an answer.

liz.1986

Asked by liz.1986 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would want to know. Call the school or go in and ask them why.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 8:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i would do the same
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• That is really odd. I would think that is something disruptive enough to the kid that they would be required to inform the parents.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yes. I think someone should have called you to let you know there was a switch. You should know what class he is in . . . . .

It sounds like someone dropped the ball. Either that or they had a sudden teacher switch, and his whole class now has Ms.B.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Apparently Ms. R isn't coming back. My son went to Ms. B's class and his best friend went to Ms. C's class. They split up their entire Kindergarten class b/c of this.

I'm wondering if maybe she was fired. We had a lot of problems with this Ms. R and she had a lot of complaints from the other parents as well.
    liz.1986

Comment by liz.1986 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would demand to know. Something like that I think a parent should be informed about.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't "demand", but I would ask.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You'd figure they'd tell you, but her lack of response could mean that she isn't allowed to say just now. If his teacher was fired for some reason mid year, it could be they are planning to announce it. I agree, call the school and ask. Can't hurt, and I know I'd personally want to know in case it involved the kids in any way.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 9:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would want to know as well and I would wanna know why they didnt tell you before.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would want to know. The reverse occurred in my son's class. His teacher came back from maternity leave and instead of returning to her class - she was reassigned to another classroom as the head teacher. We had no explanations why. Still do not. And this is at a small private school. We were all like What the Hell?! An e-mail went out after the fact. I venture to say we are not getting our explanation anytime soon.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2011