Circumcision question... adult content

My son is almost 6 weeks and I have noticed that his little penis helmet is always covered by the skin around it. Is this normal? Will he grow into it? I am going to talk to the ped tomorrow just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before.

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your supposed to pull the skin back during every diaper change or it will grow back together and pulling it apart is painful. When you pull the skin back put vaseline where he was cut so it doesn't stick.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• my son's is like that. but it's because of a botched circumcision. he's 11 months and the foreskin is fusing around his 'helmet' so only the very tip with the hole is showing. my son will need corrective surgery. if it retracts, keep it clean using a cotton ball & water. no soap. that's what our pedi advised. keep a good eye & watch if it starts to try & seal itself back shut. the doctor who did the circumcision said it should look like a normal penis by age 2, but he was almost in a state of panic & his staff were frenzied trying to "calmly" explain what happened & how he'll be ok. i took their word for it & now i'm wishing i didn't have him circumsized.

your son's is probably fine & will probably grow into it the way my son was supposed to. i don't want to worry you. but i think you should know about ways it can go wrong so you know what to look for.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 8:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• matthewscandi, i wish you were there during the procedure to tell me that. the doctor just sent me home saying "he'll be ok" and gave very basic instructions & emphasized the "don't touch it!" i wish i knew to pull it back & apply vaseline to prevent the fusing. too late now though =(
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 8:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• six weeks he should be healed...
    That being said. My son would kind of 'suck it in' when it was cold like during diaper changes. kind of like pool shrinkage. Could that be it?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• FYI,the "helmet" is called the glans
    They've starteddoing the circumcisions now where they remove less skin and it tends to grow back. Don't ask me why. my nephew had to have it re-done at 4 mo old

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It depends on the doctor doing the circumcision and the method used . if you are opting for circumcision, ask about the gomco clamp as this seems to be the best method in use now.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Our son was the same way. I think it's different for every boy. My son had penile issues. They couldn't perform the surgery until after his first birthday. It's hard to explain, but his penis or foreskin was twisted in a weird angle and the urologist just didn't want to take any chances.

LanaisSky96

Answer by LanaisSky96 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Pull the skin back at every diaper change, you do NOT want that skin reattaching itself, that happend to my son, very painfull
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• POOR THINGS!!!! i feel so bad for getting my son snipped..ladies why do we do this to our boys...you know theres like 1% differance in health doing it or not..and it takes an extra four seconds keeping it clean..NEWAY i had my son's done at like 5 months and right after they were done i seen under his diaper and thought they cut it off!! LOL neway
    mckeemama

Answer by mckeemama at 9:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

They told me the same shit. My son had to have the skin pulled back at 6months old. I was in tears while they did that. It was horrible.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011