How long after you're late do you wait to test?

how long after you've missed your period do you wait to test? my husband says 2 weeks and the more i think about it the more it makes sense only b/c ive wasted money on them before and nine times out of ten i start the next day. we are not trying to have a child right now, but we arent trying to prevent it either. i am 8 days late, i doubt i even am, ive got no symptoms other then exhaustion which could easily be due to waking up at 7am and going to bed at midnight, ive got heartburn but i always have that, but the only thing i cant give an excuse for is that i seem to ALWAYS be hungry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Health

• My only symptom was exhaustion and I took my tests 2 days before I missed my period and both came out positive.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I've always tested after only being 1-2 days late, negs were negs and positives....well I have two kids from positives. There is no reason to wait any longer, if you are pregnant a positive would show up as soon as your period was late....even on a dollar tree test.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• well i also just got off the pill.. i stopped taking it last month kuz i forgot to refill the prescription.. ive beenon this one before and even tho i was without the added hormones my period came right back immediatly and was still in the regulation it was in with the pill.. plus i was only on it 2 months this time so im not sure why im late at all and i cant get to the doctors office till next week kuz no appts are available
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You get your best results the later you wait - 1 to 2 weeks afterwards. Those give you the strongest positives, no doubts, with your 1st morning pee.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I am sure it would be accurate if you took it now.

I take them before I miss a period and have gotten positives early (and accurate, I might add). For me, the extra $5 is worth knowing as soon as possible.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• with both my kids i took tests every week after my missed period until i got pos. results.. and with both of them it was always 2 weeks afterwards cuz the first week it was neg. but i always take as second test after the 1st positive....and u cn get a dollar store test so u dont spend a lot of money...if u r pregnant even the dollar store brands will give u a pos. result...a lot of people think bcuz they r cheap they dont work like they should..thats a myth..i took a dollar store test with my daughter and with the 1 im carrying now...the most u should spend is like $4 :-) i hope i was helpful....(p.s. i had no symptoms with either of my kids...until later on :-)
    Luvinmykids225

Answer by Luvinmykids225 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• p.p.s. remember every woman and pregnancy is different ...n sumtimes u can ovulate later then u normally do and then it can alter when the hormones in ur urine are high enough to give u a pos. result..but if u have a pretty normal period then i would wait another week and take a test because 2 weeks late would send up a huge red flag for relatively regular girls...
    Luvinmykids225

Answer by Luvinmykids225 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• if you are not stressing out about having a baby chances of being late just to be late is kinda low..most pregnancy test can pick up low low levels of HCG..every women is different..with my three pregnancies it was the day after before or during when my period was suppose to come.. the tests would turn positive almost before i was done peeing on them..so id take a test see what it says and go from there..if its negative wait a week then go to the doc if period doesnt show..if its positive CONGRATS
    mckeemama

Answer by mckeemama at 9:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I tested before my period was due every time I wondered. Equate beand tests, less than $2 each, and they were right 100% of the time.
    Anonymous

• usually the day you miss you can test
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011