I just went on Megan's Law and located 30 sex offenders within a 2 mile radius of the home we purchased!!! HELP!!

It just made me queasy. I wish I would have looked it up before we put in an offer. What can I do!? I'm so nervous. They were all child molesters too! I looked up all of them Maybe two were adult crimes. I'm just sick...We bought a home in a nice neighborhood so we could give our kids a little more freedom and now I'm scared.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• When I did that, there were something like 40% of sex offenders in my city within a few mile radius of me. It was definitely unsettling. I do feel like I can't let them outdoors alone, and that they suffer because of that. It is sad, but I would rather deal with them having to entertain themselves indoors when I have to be inside on occasion than worry about a pervert snatching them.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• you can never keep your kids totally protected. just keep an eye on them at all times, know where they are, ect. i know how scary it can be, but in reality, you do your best and just pray for them and their safety
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Well you are aware, and that makes things that much safer. Just be aware, I think. Talk to the kids about the tricks kids can fall prey to. I just read my kids a (library book) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles book on just saying no. It had people (teens & adults) offering treats and things, and we just have to tell our kids, a safe adult would not come close without your parents around- don't trust something like that. But of course BE with them.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• That site has their pictures on it I assume? The ones that are really close to you I would print out their pics and addresses Commit them to memory so you are aware and if by chance you see them around you will be able to spot them.  Reinforce you rules with your kids. Your mommy instinct will help keep them safe.

Its scary but the truth is you never truly know who your neighbors are when moving in.  When we moved in here about 8 yrs ago there was a family across then street had some older kids and kids that where younger around our kids ages they were friendly but for some reason the dad creeped me out and I couldn't figure it out but they asked to have my son over a couple of times he was 4 at the time and I always said no. Well it turned out that dad ended up charged with incest and went to prison for quite awhile.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I live rural, very rural and we have 9 in our immediate area. It is really amazing how many predators there are, and they are everywhere. But like I said, be more concerned with who hasn't been caught statistically those are the ones who pose the greatest risk.

It is never to early to talk and talk often with children about safety, special words that allow them to know a person is safe and change any time the word has to be used. Teach them and arm them with what they need to be safe.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• First separate those that made stupid mistakes from those that are true predators and be thankful that you now know who the true perpetrators are. I am less concerned with the fools and the ones I know and am more concerned with the ones who could be sitting at my table and I never know about their tendencies.

One thing to remember is that most offenders are not the ones you can locate, they're the ones you trust and a lot of time they are the ones who fly under the radar.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• luckyseven, they were ALL child predators! I looked up all their offenses. Child porn, molesting, oral copulation, etc. There were only two that weren't and they were rapists...
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yes, I understand, but statistics in my state also claim that most of those guys re offend within ten years because they aren't easily rehabilitated. Not to mention the thought of some sick ass POS ogling my child. uhuhuhuhuhu yuck.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If all you did was put an offer on the table you can still back out. People do it all the time.
    Anonymous

• Um no anon, we PURCHSED the home.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2011