Ferret Question

So my ferret is 4 yrs old, usually very active and playful. When I open his cage to feed him, he will crawl up my arm and lay across my shoulders.

This morning I went to feed him, I opened his cage and he was just laying there. I picked him up and he kind of flopped over, like a rag doll.

He is breathing normally, but is very lethargic. I'm not sure if he is sick or dying. He doesn't appear to be in pain or in distress !

I did a little online research and saw that this might be symptoms of Insulinitis or something like that .. basically low blood sugar. Gave him some karo syrup as suggested, but so far nothing ... so I'm not sure what to do.

Any suggestions ?

MaryJacobs

Asked by MaryJacobs at 9:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pets

• you are gonna have to get him to a vet....keeping good thoughts as I have a little "furry" as well and he is the sweetest little guy
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would get him to the vet asap. There are so many things it could be some a lot more serious than others but you would need a vet to look at him to know.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• no other symptoms? Hair or weight loss? excessive drinking or self grooming?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Hurry up and get him to the vet!!! Usually with ferrets and weasles you usually don't know something is wrong until it's too far gone.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Poor little fellow. Time to take him to the vet.

Answer by Bmat at 9:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yep- he needs a vet's assessment. Unfortunately little animals can go from fine to sick very quickly. They cover up illnesses really well. I hope someone can give you some answers soon and recovers!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2011