My nine year old daughter is more interested in boys at school

than what her teacher is saying. She comes home and has no idea how to do her homework. The bad part is, they have changed the methods to a lot of math problems, so I don't even know how to help her! What can I do?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 8:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's possible you (or the teacher) have the cart before the horse. Maybe she's not understanding the new method as well and so THEN decides to show her interest in the boys since she doesn't understand the math. See if they have tutors. There also might be some online tutoring sites for you. I would not hesitate to ask the teacher to see her instruction book. It usually shows how to do things easily in her margins. You could probably learn it quickly. If you live near a college that instructs teachers their library would have Teacher Editions of the textbooks or try a library that caters to homeschoolers. I donated all my Teacher Edition books to the local library. It makes it very simple to help students even without a teaching degree.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I would look at WHY she is more interested in boys. 9 is pretty young, but not unheard of. Maybe she can't concentrate in class. I would talk to her teachers and maybe the school Councilor?
    Keriokeeee

Answer by Keriokeeee at 11:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2008