"Why don't you go all the way and just become a doctor?" Um, because I don't want to, that's why!

That's what my family said to me (as well as teachers in high school) when I talked about wanting to become a midwife. Why can't people just accept that dreams are important to people and being a doctor isn't everyone's dream? I also get griped at for not just becoming a nurse (which I will be, but I'll have a masters in nursing with a specialization in midwifery). Why can't people just be supportive of those they love?

Anyone else had to deal with family not being supportive of things that are important to you?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• I still want to finish college (I am 44). DH doesn't understand why. I want and need to do it for myself.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• that's my dream too =)

they just want what's best for you. & i'm sure they say that with love. just do your thing though. you don't need to explain your every career move with them. they'll be there with their loving opinions no matter what you decide to do.

Good luck mama!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 10:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't think it's always that they are unsupportive, they just don't understand or get it. Some of my family members say stuff like, oh just go to beauty school it's easy, or I can't believe people pay you that much money for hair. I work hard. My education costed me 22,000! My license is expensive. I still teach and take classes. I'm proud of what I do. I just stick to others who get it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i started an anime publication and production house everyone keeps telling me to give it up but its all good like Nike i just do it!! they only say you cannot do it because the cannot or why don't you because they want better for you just do it and live your life.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My family tells me I am stupid for becoming a social worker and alcohol and drug counselor. I think it's because what I am becoming is hitting a little too close to home for some of them. Also, anytime that I do something to better myself, it'sa bad thing in my family. I could find the cure for cancer and it would not be good enough for my family. I have learned that I can't please anyone but myself!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• go for what YOU want, not what everyone else wants, its your happiness in the balance
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2011