From no seatbelt...to seatbelt

i don't know about you, but back in my teen years, wearing a seatbelt was not cool lol. not just for me, but about any teen i knew. i know, i look back and see how stupid it was, but i remember thinking i would NEVER wear one, even when i got older. i started wearing it every now and then, but it wasn't until i was married and had my son i started wearing it all the time. i think settling down and having a family made me realize how much i didn't care about being "cool", and cared more about being alive and there for my husband and kids.

did you go through the "seatbelts are SO not cool" stage? or did you always wear them? when did you come to your senses and start wearing them?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• My mother drilled that into me, HARD, lol. When I was little, she said the car wouldn't start until we were buckled. And by the time I was old enough to know better, it was habit. And once the habit was formed, I didn't have the...pressure or incentive to break it. Hopefully, I'll be able to do the same with my kids, since I know parents' habits have a lot to do with childrens', and my husband and I both always wear our seat belts.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I haven't come to my senses yet and I don't think I ever will. I feel very uncomfortable (trapped feeling) when I wear one. I have been in two accidents that would of killed me if I had been wearing my seat belt. I always have my kids buckle up.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• When I first started driving I wore it when I remembered. I always thought they were uncomfortable. When my nieces and nephews started coming along and I took them in the car, I wanted to set a good example for them and before long it was habit.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 10:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My dad hates wearing them because as a former fireman, he had to pull many victims out of wrecks that would have lived had they not had a seatbelt on.

I don't think about it ... it's one of those unconscious habits now. I don't remember when that started though.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I have always worn a seatbelt. When I got my license and first car at 16, I made everybody wear their seatbelts, too. I had to get on my dad's case all the time, reminding him to wear his.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I always wear my seat belt and the car does not move until everyone is buckled up. SAFETY FIRST.
    LadyV678

Answer by LadyV678 at 1:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I got my license in 1983 and let me tell you, NO ONE got in my car without one. I had a healthy respectful fear of driving. I guess I have never been one to care what is "cool" and what isn't.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:29 AM on Mar. 18, 2011