How much chores do you allow your child do between the ages of 7 – 11? My child’s school psychologist was evaluating him and asked if he feels he do too much chores at home.

When my 8 year old told me the psychologist asked him if I gave him too much chores to do around the house, I began to wondered how much is too much for him (8) and his sister (10).  Here is a list of my children's chores:  keep in mind that every chore, including cleaning their bedrooms, was a chore of choice by them when they asked and beg me to do it.  Once I saw they knew how and did do a great job it became their chores because it let me know they were ready for the responsibility.  My 8 year old is responsible daily to 1.  keep his room clean, 2.  share their bathroom duties with his sister which is keeping their clothes off the floor, bath tiles, and sweeping (no scrubbing, mopping), 3.  share the trash duties with the whole family:  we all empty and take out trash, 4.  sweeping the dinning area after meals, and 5.  removing the dry clothes from the dryer and putting them on my bed or in a basket so I can fold.  6.  He also has to put away his clothes after I fold them.  My 10 year old chores are 1.  keeping her room clean and tidy, 2.  share bathroom duties with brother, 3.  vacuuming her room weekly, 4.  share the trash duties with family, 5.  wiping off table after meals, 6.  sharing the duties of emptying dish washer and putting away dishes she can reach with me, 7.  Sometimes on the weekend she makes breakfast and lunch for us:  cereal for breakfast, and sandwiches or something that can be warmed in the microwave (she is not allowed to touch the stove and other appliances beside the microwave and electric can opener), and 8.  taking clothes out of washer, put in dryer, and turn on dryer.  Sometimes they do help-mommy chores when the family room is out of order and we need a quick clean up for company etc., which is not often.  So, is this too much, just right, or not enough.  Thanks for your comments! 

ladynell4god

Asked by ladynell4god at 10:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just right!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't see an issue with it sounds good to me.

Just wondering did she ask if he thought he had too much homework too?

=D
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• This is realy too much, I mean the jobs to be done by 8 & 10 yrs old respectively. Give them the jobs to do but according to their age. If they manage to keep their rooms clean which includes to put away their clothes and keep their bed clean you can feel that they have done their duties. You can include their getting ready on their own without your help. The list of chores to be done by them finishes here. You can allow them to cook once they cross 15yrs of age & not prior to that.....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i think you're doing fine! i'm teaching my 4yr old, since he's getting himself dressed and undressed now, that his dirty laundry goes in the hamper, and he does it, along with keeping his room clean. the clean room thing is still a process lol, but he's figured out where the laundry goes. and both him and my 2yr old know that when they're done with their meal, the trash goes in the trash can and the plates, cups and silverware go in the sink. they do that themselves.

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• That sounds like my list! lol.... its just right.
    babysavy9

Answer by babysavy9 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My 3,4, and 7yr old. do dishes, laundry, clean their rooms, make their beds, wipe counters, dress theirselvs and put on their own cloths, and anything else their asked to do. They have to know these things to grow up so why not start early and it's not too much if your giving them chores out of love and making it likeable. My kids win behavior and chore bucks, and i have a closet we call the home store and on fridays if all chores are done and their behavior has been good then they turn in their bucks for small items i have bought. It's a teaching process. your doing great
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 10:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• sounds okay to me! Kids always feel like their given too much unless its something they want to do then it all changes.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Jesus, that's a lot!
    My 9 yr old has to feed the family lizard, that's it. Plus he and his 6 yr old brother must keep their room clean.

My oldest, 14, has to put away dishes (not wash), mow the lawn, and take out the trash.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Your kids have it a lot less harsh than I had it at 6 and 7 years old. I was sweeping and mopping kitchen floor, bathroom floor, doing dishes, taking out the trash, cleaning the bathroom, vaccuming the living room and dining room, keeping my room clean, and doing my own laundry at this age.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If they like it and dont feel overworked then I am down. You are raising them to be responsible adults someday... I used to make my mom eggs for breakfast on the stove at like 8 so I think your doing fine. because my parents sure as heck weren't great examples...
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 10:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2011