Breastfeeding question

I has such a hard time with bfing my youngest we went for a year but I got mastitis 4xs and repeated clogged ducts. My husb and I want to have another child soon, but I'm afraid to breastfeed bc I am so worried I will go through this again. Anyone experience this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did . . . . I learned that my clogged ducts were cyclical and if I didn't attend to them, I would get mastitis. So, when my second came, I had a way to address. The ducts get cloggy about the same time that you are, or would be PMS'ing. So, I would take an ibuprophen and plan for long breastfeeding sessions on those days . . . I would massage underneath the clog while the baby was sucking (with chin positioned on the side of the clog.) There is more power that way because the tongue is pushing up from underneath. SOmetimes, it would take an hour, but eventually, the clog would open and I was good to go for a month until the cycle came again.

It is definately do-able . . . . your body will give you clues as to what it needs, and you can learn to read those clues . . . I didn't get mastitis if I addressed the clogs in time.

Feel free to PM me . . . . I know it is frustrating and painful.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I has a REALLY REALLY HARD time nursing my first. Latching issues (could NOT latch on her own for 6 months), weight issues, mastitis 4 times, painfully clogged ducts...you name it we went through it! Nursed her for 2 years.

I was prepared for another hard time with my 2nd baby but he latched right on and I never had a single issue!

Give it a try. You never know what it will be like until you try and your baby deserves a chance at the best!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would definitely give it another shot, every experience is different and you may not even have those same problems.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• you can always try and if it doesn't work for you then at least you'll know you tried
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2011