Do you allow your kids to swear or curse?

I heard a little kid cursing saying sh** . He was talking to her and was about 8 yo I guess. I was wondering if anyone allows their kids to swear, if so what age is it OK for your family?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, my kids are not allowed to curse. It's disrespectful and shows a lack of class.

Answer by missanc at 9:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• No, but nit because I think that it is a major sin or people who use profanity are not capable of using better words. I do not use profanity in front of my child because I do not want himtoget into trouble at school for bad language. I think there is a time and place for profanity but he is too young to understand when it is okay and when it is not such a great time. Every culture has had NO NO words that were considered profane and off limits. It is believed that we need those strong words to express very strong emotions that go above and beyond our every day venacular. So while I do not think profanity is so horrible I am mindful my child is not old enough to exercise good judgement and impulse control when it comes to expressive language.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• now they are teens and we allow it- when they were kids though (like under 12 or 13) we would ask them "what did you say?" and they would change it usually to something better.
    We never really had an issue of them swearing when we were out and about or having company or whatever so- not THAT big of a deal.

I DO have problems with them saying words like stupid, a**hole, idiot, retard- stuff like that or using words to just put people down or make them feel bad. They get in trouble for that faster than anything else
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I can deal with the bad language as long as it's not used in a derogatory fashion. My kids have all sworn at one time or another and it's not something that overly concerns me unless it is directed at somene.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 7:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My kids are allowed to curse. We try to keep it from happening in public because of how much people look down upon it. But it doesn't matter to us if they curse or not. They are just words. They have no power until you give them power. So we don't give them power.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Absolutely not, even if it is by accident, I correct right away. If they don't learn at home then where are they going to learn. It makes me so sad to see children curse and their parents think it is funny or cute.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No but they have cursed once or twice & we let them know that it was not ok to speak like that. They never did again.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 10:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• no i didnt allowed them
    lelly1019

Answer by lelly1019 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I agree with frogdawg. I won't profess to have the cleanest language, but I know when and where it is appropriate, a child does not. I don't punish, necessarily, unless my daughter is a "repeat offender", usually if she says something I don't approve of I will just say "don't say that" and she will correct whatever she said to be more appropriate.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• *oh and I have NEVER heard my son swear and he is 14...my daughter is a different story ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011