Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my brothers girlfriend is having a baby and they are placing the baby for adoption. Do I have any rights as a aunt to get the baby?

Answer Question

Asked by melove24 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • ;of course, they can straight up choose you, but they will probably have to go through paperwork and all that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • I'm honestly not sure what your legal rights are, but I'm sure you could fight to get custody of the baby if you wanted. I do believe that the courts would usually rather a family member adopt the child than put them with strangers or foster care. Have you tried asking the girlfriend to sign her rights over to you?

    Answer by Slinkee at 8:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • I am not sure. have you talked to them about wanting to keep the baby. If they do not know that you are interested then they can not even consider this as an option.

    You might be able to apply to adopt the baby, I am not sure that you can get custody with out either going through an adoption or talking to them about giving the baby to you.

    Good Luck

    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • I totally understand your desire to keep that child, but have you considered how potentially awkward and confusing that arrangement could be? I'm playing devil's advocate...

    Answer by sfwilson at 8:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • No. You have absolutely no legal rights to the child. I'm an attorney, and I've adopted children. Sorry.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • Legally, even parents cannot make a daughter place a baby with them. Morally, if you talk with them, you might have a good chance, especially if you've been trying to adopt. Your brother has just as much say in the situation as she does, so he might be your advocate.

    You'll have to go through a home study, and have a lawyer to prepare paperwork.

    Answer by sizesmith at 9:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • Yeah, if she asks you. :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

  • No. I'm pretty sure you don't sorry. Your brother does though. If he doesn't want the adoptive famiily to be strangers he can refuse to sign. Make sure he has registered in punitive fathers registry.

    Answer by onethentwins at 2:01 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

  • Not that I know of. Brysonsbio grandma (fathers mother) wanted to adopt him. If the child is taken by CPS, then yes, family usually comes first, but if she is putting the baby up, usually (atleast in our case) then its their choice. They can choose family or not.

    Answer by babycakes254 at 2:41 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

  • You don't in terms of a private adoption, but would probably have a much better chance if they are placing through social services. I agree with the others, if they are aware that you want to adopt the baby they may be open to that. It would give them the opportunity to stay even more involved with the child as it grows. Talk to them about it.

    Answer by adoptionsc at 8:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Adoption
I Want To Adopt A Child

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Is it normal..?(A little TMI)