At what month should you take your preemie baby out?

I want to take my baby out but, I am scared of all the diseases out there and I dont want him to get sick. So I wanted to know when is the best time.

ilovealex1205

Asked by ilovealex1205 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm no doctor, but I would think that by 6 weeks any baby is ready to go "out and about". I guess I'd ask your doctor.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Everyone is different...my cousin took her baby out the day after he came home from the hospital. She had him at 34 weeks, so he was definitely a preemie.

I guess it all depends on how comfortable you (as the parent) are =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It used to be at 10 lbs. But even then I'l be careful about taking the child in crowds, especially this time of year.

Answer by Bmat at 8:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I took m daughter out when she was only a week old, but she was born in July and it was warm. I'd be a little scared to take a newborn out now, but hey if you have to go somewhere, well . . . you have to. Just bundle the baby up nice and toasty!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I didn't take my preemies out much for the first 6 months.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Don't be scared, taking your baby out will help build his immune system. My kids all had their first shopping trip at 12 hours old. I left the hospital and went straight to the mall with them.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My son was born at 34 weeks and I took him out when he was a month old but that's only because I had to go to the dr's for my 6 weeks check up. When I did take him out I would put a blanket over his carry to keep him warm and alos so no strangers would look at him or spread his gems.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• How old is your baby now? I would wait till the baby is older and weighs more, because he was born premature he will be more susceptible to all the germs out there. Not only that if you don't carry the baby in the sling, lots of people will want to touch him. You don't want that. I wouldn't risk it, it's just not worth it. Even though you might cover up the baby, you have to think of all the hundreds of people that are touching the the same door as you, and all the other things that are public, which you will also touch. We are also in cold and flu season, which means that those sick people aren't always going to stay home and keep the illness to themselves.
    http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/PrematureBabies/Infection-and-the-Immune-System.aspx?articleID=7513&categoryID=PI-nh1-08a
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 9:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Its not about being scared, its about being safe. RSV is also more prevalent during the winter season. I would hate for you little baby to get that being he was born a premie.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 9:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I took my preemie out the day after he came home, but I kept him covered and didn't let ppl around him, this is a bad time of year so I would be careful, if you don't have to go out, then don't. Also, I kept sanitizing wipes and lotion with me, just in case. He is 7 weeks old now and I still take it with me.
    shortydo

Answer by shortydo at 12:16 AM on Nov. 25, 2008