Can doctors with-hold information about your health even if it's something severe?

My husband has been sick alot in the last three months. I'm beginning to think it's more than just a flu bug or a cold because in the last two weeks he has had a stable fever of a hundred that hasn't gone away. He's been to the doctors already and the tests come out okay, but he's still sick. So I'm wondering if doctors can or have with-held vital information and wait til a person gets worse before revealing what's really going on with them.

THe same thing happened with my grand ma for almost two years before they were able to diagnose her with breast cancer. Unless she knew the whole time and didn't say anything. *sigh* I dunno what to think right now, I'm just mad and frustrated that my husband is sick nearly all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Health

• " So I'm wondering if doctors can or have with-held vital information and wait til a person gets worse before revealing what's really going on with them." <<-- I would say that's unethical and against the Hippocratic Oath they take. But, there are crappy doctors out there that miss stuff. There are some nasty viruses out there right now... lasting up to a month or so. But if he's really worried have him get a second opinion or push the doc harder for answers.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• doctors cannot legally withhold any information from the patient, but are under no obligation to the family or spouse.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 11:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Hmm... I'm possessive about my DH's health issues and he's always going to be fine...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• no i dont beleive they would. there still trying to fine the problem.
    califbecky

Answer by califbecky at 11:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• they have told him everything that they know. he, however, may be choosing not to tell you something. doctors can be sued for withholding information, misdiagnosing, and even for taking to long to diagnose. they would not risk being sued for holding information.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Well my grandfather was sick in the hospital and the doctor told my grandma what was wrong and she told the doctor it's better he not know. Well the doctor never told my grandfather that he could have been dieing.
    Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Not sure but maybe can yall switch doctors? It definately sounds like something that needs further investigating!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Well my grandfather was sick in the hospital and the doctor told my grandma what was wrong and she told the doctor it's better he not know. Well the doctor never told my grandfather that he could have been dieing. <<-- she was probably his health care proxy... if he wasn't able to comprehend what was going on then that is who the doc talks to

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• doctors cant without info, but that doesn;t mean they don't investigate as much as they should or proper;y diagnose all the time, which is why in situations like these its best to get a second opinion
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Doctor's can hold information from YOU...unless he specifies in writing that you are allowed privy, you are not entitled to know.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2011