Why are people so easily offended?

If people consider the bible just another book why are they so offended when people offer advice, encouragement, wisdom, etc from it? How is it really any different from saying "American Baby said..." or "Babywise says..." or Dr. Sears says..." Can't the bible still be helpful even if someone doesn't "believe"? If it really holds no meaning to a person why be so offended by others holding it so dear?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was just reading a book by Deepak Chopra and he says that ppl choose to be offended (or to not be offended). Whatever the reason they blame the offense on, it's still their choice to be offended. Some ppl don't have an open mind and be willing to listen to all resources then come to a personal conclusion in their spiritual life. Some just choose to hide behind fear then choose to be offended by their own fears essentially. Sad.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• There is very little that comes out of the bible that I personally don't find offensive. It's full of hate and bloodshed. I want nothing to do with it.

Sure there are good things in there. But most of it I could do without. If someone's going to give me advice I would rather it be because they actually know what they are saying is true. They've experienced it themselves. Someone they love has experienced it. etc. Not because some guy wrote about it thousands of years ago and claimed it was God who told him to. Sorry. No. Not going to help.
    Anonymous

• You do realize that much of the bible is historical, right? So much of that "bloodshed" recorded is no different then reading a history book or some other non-fiction about historical events. About the hate - I would be interested in the passages full of hate if you can find them again. Thanks!
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• OP, you make a good point. I may not beleive everything Dr Sears has to say, but maybe there is something that will help me that he/she has said or done. I can see it beinf the same for the Bible, there is a lot in there that won't help everyone, btu somethings that just might help, hello the golden rule came from there! Give me time to find it if you'd like! haha
    As for the 1st poster, there is more bloodshed on TV and movies nad in books now and they never have anything good to say when it's all said and done, the Bible does. It may take a fight/war, adultry or what not but there is always a "moral" to the story. But to each his own, the Bible works for some nad not others, I will never force someone to read or follow it.
    mommy_of3boys

Answer by mommy_of3boys at 12:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• You're right that it's the same as any other book. And I would be just as annoyed if at every opportunity someone felt the need to quote Dr Sears on a variety of subjects. After a while it would get old and you'd be frustrated, wouldn't you? After a while I know I'd start an eye twitch if I heard "Dr Sears says..."
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have to agree with the first poster....As a gay rights advocate, the bible is always used as an excuse from allowing perfectly normal people to become married. Because of the fact that he bible says marriage is a sacred bond between man and woman (although homosexual tendancies can be traced back to the era in which the bible was written and before) there are so many crimes against homosexuals, it is hard NOT to blame the bible for this kind of hate, when in fact it was NORMAL to homosexual in that era. I'm sorry, but the bible just gives people and excuse to hate things. Didn't Hitler want to kill everyone who wasn't blonde haired blue eyed....The bible doesn't want anyone who is not a male female couple to marry....And although the comparison pales, I'm sure that these people feel that there life is not complete until they marry the one they love...
    Anonymous

• It sort of gets redundant when anyone always refers to their source. As you pointed out, if we all walked around and said, "_________ said this is the right way" it would bother me. If I am not on the same religious page as you, I would possibly find what you are saying positive or negative. It just depends. But anyone who goes around with this manner can seem to be a know it all. You may know great wonderful info, but if I don't ask for it, I may not want it at that certain time. I also agree that the Bible has been used and misused to various group's advantage. You can twist any and all information. Look at statictics.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I think it probably has a lot to do with how people present the Bible to them. A lot of times people use the bible as a tool to push people into something they are not ready to believe in.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I agree with the poster above me! I also believe that people choose to be angry as well. If it doesn't help you out when people quote it, then let it roll off your shoulders.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• maybe non-believers don't want to believe, and if some advice from the Bible does help, then they might have to question what they do believe.
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 1:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2008