Are these contractions??

Is it normal to have a contraction lasting about 5 minutes? I've had Braxton Hicks before, but these seem like there's no end... I've only had like 2, but I sat on the toilet the whole time thinking I was about to have diarrhea...lol sorry tmi!! Oh and I'm 34 wks.

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 8:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Omg, I was doing this all day and I am only 29 weeks 3 days. It did subside. I did not call my doc but still am having periodic contractions and have still the heavyness down in my area, and in my rectum area as well. I am watching, but if you are 34 weeks watch for the following. Show, or your plug, which can look like jelly ((jelly fish, jello like consistancy usually blood tinged)) and diahrea. Contractions that are 5 min apart, but any more than 4 in a hour, call or go to L&D. You are where I was when I had my son 12 yrs ago. I waited an entire night of this, lost my plug in the shower. I went in and was 5cm dialated, with my bag of waters protruding. So please be careful. My contractions were not regular either, anywhere from 4-11 min apart. My OB said I was not in labor, and boy was he wrong. Take care!! Congrats by the way!
    Unbroken_Amanda

Answer by Unbroken_Amanda at 9:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Yes, real labor often feels like gastrointestinal distress. (i.e. it makes you go sit on the toilet for fear of having a blowout! lol) If you're 34 wks, I would call your doc and let him/her know what's going on.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Definitely could be. Call your dr
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2008