Who is the Godparents of your children, and how did you choose them?

I have been thinking I want my cousin and his fiance to be the Godparents of my children, but my other cousin who I'm closer with is going to be very upset, but I know she cannot give my children what I would want. I'm torn between the two.

Also, I really would love for my Aunt to be the godmother of my children, does age have anything to do with it? What if she passes before I do (god forbid anytime soon) Do I just choose next person, such as her son and his fiance? This might be a silly question, but I've just been thinking about it lately.

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have two sons. The godparents of my first are my brother and second cousin (who happens to be the daughter of my godparents). Neither of them were married at the time so choosing the two of them made sense to us. Our second son's godparents are my husband's college roommate and wife. We are extremely close to them - and could have chosen family members - and some were probably confused/disappointed...but we have a history with them and wanted to honor them for the role they play in our lives. Truly I don't know how much age plays a part nowadays. For us it isn't necessarily even a religious thing. It is who we feel will be able to guide our children, be role models, confidants and a support system when they need it. If anything were to happen to my husband and I both children would go to my brother. Our choice in godparents wasn't based on that.
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 11:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It's called a living will hon, anyone with children should have one to prevent their children from becoming wards of the state in the event of an untimely death.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My aunt and her husband are DD's godparents. We chose them because we either didn't trust other people, or they had too much on their plate already (like DH's sister who has 4 kids of her own), and they adore me and DD.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My children don't have godparents. I had a close male friend that sort of assumed the role of godfather and he was good at it for a few years, then he got a girlfriend and essentially abandoned my children. Words were exchanged between us but it ended with me threatening to break his arm if I caught him around my kids again. We had made plans a few times for him to see them and he kept bailing on me because of his damn girlfriend. Then I thought about it, I have a godfather who is my uncle, that I hardly talk to and never was close to. He sent me $100 for graduation and not three days later threw a fit because he didn't get a thank you card.. in THREE DAYS. And honestly, if I were to see my godmother right now i probably wouldn't recognize her. In my experience, you just can't depend on people enough anymore for them to be trusted in this kind of role. If anything happened to me, my parents would get the kids.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• We don't have God parents. The purpose of godparents is to help you raise your kids in your faith.... godparent is expected to provide consistent support and spiritual education to his or her godchild. Since we are spiritual and not religious this doesn't really apply to us.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• God parents don't adopt your kids if you die. They help guide your child's spiritual and religious life
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2011