Can I dye my hair in the first trimester?

Babycakes82

Asked by Babycakes82 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• You can...but it's highly unrecommended. You should probably wait until after 20 weeks to be safe.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• i did with all 3 of my kids no problems but i would go for the stuff with less order. and they dont recommend it i read somewhere that the dye can absorb in to your skin therefor your blood stream..
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 9:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• level 2 dye is okay if you use level 3 keep it off your scalp
    hunters_mom820

Answer by hunters_mom820 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Im sorry but why would you chance somthing happening to your baby just so your hair looks good. if you really have to dye it i would wait til you are in your 2 or 3 trimester.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 11:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• this is always funny to me..most women who regularly color their hair, don't usually time their pregancies with their coloring schedules. kinda like realizing you're preg, then instantly remembering those four beers or smokes you had the other day...everything in moderation, the first trimester...chemical-wise, that is. i'm a stylist/colorist, and have colored my hair since 14, was working 10hr days until my 38th week..i'm fine, the kid is fine....but if you feel you'll feel better to wait, then wait. and no, the dye doesn't get into your bloodstream, unless you ingest it!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:02 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I agree with thehairnazi. I'm a stylist/colorist as well, and I've colored my hair every 3 weeks through both of my pregnancies, including during the first trimester. And (gasp!) the color was on my scalp!!! It will NOT soak through your skin, get into your bloodstream, and poison your baby or whatever some people will tell you. It's safe, just don't drink it.
    MelissaSparkle

Answer by MelissaSparkle at 1:58 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I always waited till the 2nd tri.. I do know Hightlights are ok.. so maybe get some highlights for now?
    KimArbonne

Answer by KimArbonne at 10:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• or use no amonia hair color
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I agree with thehairnazi and melissasparkle although I am not a hair stylist nor do I have a license , but I have been coloring my hair since I was 15 and did it all through both of my pregnancies and neither of my kids turned out deformed. That is a COMPLETE myth. It doesn't get into your bloodstream so what is it hurting?
    elmhurstmom2009

Answer by elmhurstmom2009 at 8:37 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Honestly, I'm with all the stylists here. I'm 38 weeks have been dyeing my hair black every 3 weeks since the beginning. The only reason they suggest not dyeing your hair is because of the smell. It might make you sick if you are sensitive to smells when you are pregnant. Lots of stylists get pregnant and work through their whole pregnancy. My good friend is a perfect example and she changed her haircolor every 4 weeks while she was pregnant and her baby is perfectly fine. I would think the only way it would pass into your bloodstream would be if you drank it or had a huge open wound on your head and in either case you shouldn't be dyeing your hair. If you want to dye your hair do it. If you are too scared then don't. You have to do what makes you feel comfortable.
    13serene13

Answer by 13serene13 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 26, 2008