How do I get over my issue with letting others babysit my baby?

Well... actually she's 14 months old and I've only let someone babysit her twice. When I'm not with my baby (or should I say toddler) I feel anxious until I see her again. How can I overcome this issue? I need to have date nights with my husband, but am so afraid of letting someone else watch her. I think part of my issue is the fact that I don't want her to become more attached to a babysitter than she is with me. Trust me, I know how selfish that sounds, but it would break my heart if she preferred someone other than her mommy. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Do you have family close by? You could start with having a family member as the sitter at first. That way you are comfortable with the person watching her. Then find someone else you are okay with and go with it. There are a few things to think about here. First of all, your marriage. Date nights with your husband are crucial to your relationship...especially with a baby/toddler in the house. You also need the time and the space. You may be anxious and miss her...she will be fine. She won't like the sitter more than you. Its healthy for her to be able to be comfortable with others. Do you really want to raise a child that can't be without you in her sights ...ever? That gets tough after awhile. Also for your own mental health - you need to be able to have some time for you. Leaving her for a few hours doesn't make you less of a mother. It actually makes you a better mother when you come home feeling refreshed :)
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 11:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Trust me , even if she ADORES the babysitter, you are always number1! You are her mommy!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• it's a tough one to get over, for myself I had to realize that making bonds with other people is so good for our kids! It's always Mommy they run to when they need something, trust me - always!! LOL. It's hard to tear away from them - but it's good for them and good for you, promise! ;)
    JusaLady

Answer by JusaLady at 11:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You should be less worried about her bonding with someone else and more worried about her safety. Do you realize how many children have died or been abused as a result of leaving their children with someone else? once you start worrying for the right reasons, you should rethink this question. it would be best to leave her with a trusted family member.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• not the greatest words to help calm someones feelings - for parents safety is always the first unspoken concern. We need to remember we are bringing up children to become adults, giving them some space from ourselves is a good thing too. Give yourself time, and start off of course with a trusted friend or family member. Good luck!
    JusaLady

Answer by JusaLady at 11:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I doubt I would have any useful advice for you, but I do sympathize!! My son is 2.5 and has NEVER spent a night apart from me, EVER!!!! It makes me very, very anxious! I am not worried about him becoming more attached to someone else, I am worried about the idiots and the disrespectful people! I want my son raised a certain way and the FACT is that there really and truly is NOONE you can fully trust to abide by your rules and speak and do things as you would like them to be done at all times. NOONE can be trusted, not even family members!!!! Hmmmmmm, I believe somewhere around 90% of molestations are committed by family members or close friends of such family!!! NOONE can be fully trusted with my baby boy, and NEVER will be! I actually LOVE my son too much to put him in the care of others, a lot of other people do not!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2011