Formula

Let me start with if you don't like fomula feeding just close out of the question now. I don't want to hear "oh breastfeeding is better" this is what is best for us.

I will be talking to my daugthers pedi on Monday but I wanted some opinions on here tonight.

She will be a year in little over a month. Most babies switch over to milk then but my daughter has a allergy to lactose. Not severe but she is on Similac Senitive for Spit Up. It is basically senitive milk but with added rice starch & iron. My daughter hasn't put on much weight since she was born. She was 7lbs 2oz and is only 18bs 8oz at 11months.
They make a formula for toddlers 9months -24months. I want to contiune my daughter on formula because I want to make sure she is gettin all the nutrients she needs. She is 11months & still isn't eating some table food yet. Ex Crackers she has a hard time swallowing them, when she swallows she takes in air making her choke. Pedi said she will out grow it but until then just watch her but continue to try these types of foods with her. She can eat mash potatos but we are still 2nds foods about to switch to 3rd foods soon.

Anyways the Toddler formula I will have to pay out of pocket for so it is a generic brand "parents choice." How do I slowly switch her. And how do I look for allergies to it.

Thanks to all & please again....anything neg, just don't. Anything helpful is awesome!!

rebel07

Asked by rebel07 at 11:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, when I switched mine from formula to milk, I mixed it half and half. Maybe that would work the same when switching formulas, but I would def ask the dr about that first bc I don't know if that would be better or worse on her tummy than just switching right over. I would just watch for any kind of a rash when she switches over or vomiting if she is intolerant to the new stuff.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• When I used the stage 2 formula, it seemed to be the exact same thing only more rich in nutrients because bigger babies need more. It just fills them up faster.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• just talk to her doctor and get their opinion on this; I didn't start my children on cow's milk till they were 2--they were both preemies; you can start out by mixing 2 ounces of milk with her formula and then a month later bump it up to 4 ounces of milk and so on
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I never used toddler formula. My oldest was only 18.6lbs when she turned 1 (she was 7lbs 1oz at birth). She's always been tiny. I never worried. She's 10 now and only 50lbs and put 5 of those pounds on in the last year or so (hitting puberty, I guess).
    Anyway, if you're switching gradually you start buy making a bottle that is mostly the regular formula with some of the toddler stuff mixed in. Like 6oz of regular, 2oz of toddler. Then you do 50/50, etc. I'm pretty sure I've seen toddler formula for sensitive stomachs. I don't plan to use it so I've never really looked. We use all store brand (Target) with our 8mo. We don't even do milk with our kids. They rarely got any after 1 and it was always 2% which our doctor knew. Milk is for cereal and cooking in our house (not that my kids don't love it, just can't afford for them to drink it, nor do I think they need it). But they were eating pretty well at 1.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i would do a 1/2 and 1/2 thing for a lil then slowly reduce the old for the new and then total the new
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011