My daughter is 20 months old and not talking..should i be worried?

She says a few words, like bye hi hey yes and this..little things but..not much more on a regular basis.

babymomma4

Asked by babymomma4 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter can carry a conversation like an adult, by friend's daughter however will refuse to repeat a word if you ask her to do it. they're both 3. children develop at their own pace. your child might not actually be behind but might be shy or just quiet. some adults are very conversational while others rarely talk to other people.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• my boy are 18 months and have a few words but they dont really use them. The doctor keeps telling me as long as I think they KNOW what things are, then theyre okay.
    like they know what trucks and cars are they know what a ball is they know what balloons are if we say them, they'll point to the right thing, they just dont really use words.
    hope that makes sense.
    but talk to your doctor, they'll be able to tell you for sure if its something to be worried about.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:08 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and still has a LOT of baby-babble that I need to translate for her. We're really starting to crack down on it now because I'm tired of being the translator. BUT, even though not many fully understand her she's got some amazing thought processes that she can articulate to me that just blow my mind. And of course she clams up if ANYONE but me, her dad, or her brother are around.

Like TiffanieK said, every child develops at their own pace. If you are truly concerned about her talk with her doctor about it. As long as she is hearing you and responding to verbal requests I wouldn't worry too much just yet.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• thanks..at first i wasn't concerned until other family members started asking me about it, nut she's heard spanish and english her whole life...i'm not sure if its her putting the two languages together..i feel like she's smart. I know that she knows things but i have been trying to get her to talk and it's really hard to stay positive with everyone questioning my daughter's speech. she jibber jabbers ALL THE TIME>
    babymomma4

Comment by babymomma4 (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You should speak to her pediatrician about it. They will probably recommend a speech evaluation for her if the doctor feels like there is cause for concern. I had the same issue with my daughter, and it turned out she did have a problem. She received speech therapy for about a year and was completely on track afterwards. If your daughter does have a delay, you don't want to put off getting help for it and have her fall further and further behind. Talk to her doc!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would request a developmental evaluation whether your pediatrician thinks it's warranted or not. It's free through early intervention in your area and it never hurts to either find a delay, or put your fears at ease. If there is a delay they will offer free or very low cost therapy and hopefully she will catch up in no time. Much better to find a delay early than wait too long until they are way behind their peers.

Answer by missanc at 9:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My son is 23 months, he babbles quite a bit, but he says only a few words I can understand. Give her time.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Lots of children who are hearing two languages have a little delay. With the parents that I work with, I suggest that they choose just one language (probably English since I'm guessing you live in the US). Use the one language for one month and see how much improvement there is. It will also help her become more social with her peers if she is able to communicate with them (even though they are young and it's limited!). I really wouldn't worry yet! Good luck to you!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2011