water births

What do you ladies think of water births? Here are my specific questions and any other info would be great...

my husband wants to see the baby born, so if i am in a tub is this harder to see?
I would like to have a natural birth, so does the warm water help with the pain?

xox

Asked by xox at 9:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have always wanted a water birth but never had one. I have watched videos of then and I can tell you that he will be able to see just fine and if he wants he can even get in the tub with you and look over your shoulder. Yes I have heard the water helps with the pain. Good Luck and if you want a water birth have it! I regret not having one so do not make my mistake.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I am an RN.... It isnt hard to see in a tub but u have to be in perfidy heath to have a water birth.... Plus alot of hospitals dont do water births for alot of reasons... if u have anymore questions message me and i would be glad to answer them for you... There is alot to explane about water births
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 9:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• From what I have read some other women's responses. I labored in and out of the shower then in the tub, but I did not have my DD at home. Being able to labor at home really helped with having a natural birth, even if it was at the hospital. She was born 45 min after arriving there. I was in and out because that was what felt comfortable for me, also I got out during the transitional period. I will be having one more, I don't really know if I will get a big tub rental. It just seems like a hassle after having to fill it and having to empty it. Those that have had it love it. You should google " water births".
    I don't think it would be a problem having your husband see the baby during a water birth.

there is a group I belong to: unassisted birth (yahoo groups) even if you are not having an unassisted.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 9:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Some people love the tub, some people hate it. It is often referred to as "the midwives epidural" because supposedly the water is soothing and helps with the pain by providing counter pressure. The water has to be something like 98 degrees exactly. Some people feel it is too hot, some think its too cold. You never know what your hormones will do to your body temp in labor. I have a friend who got into the tub during labor and hated the feeling of floating, she said that it made her feel like she wasn't in control. The best you can do is get in and see if you like it. If you don't like it then get out. I liked being in the shower personally. I couldn't get into the tub because I was on a monitor, but I would have liked to try it.
    Your husband should be able to see the baby even if you are in the tub, but you will be surprised by how much you don't care what he wants when you are in labor. Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I had a homebirth with my fist and although she was not born in the tub I spent alot of my labor in the bath tub and it was Wonderful. It does help tremendously with the pain. My husband got in the bath with me and it was very special and intimate.
    mommyof2kiddos

Answer by mommyof2kiddos at 10:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Water birth is wonderful!! My youngest daughter was born in the water at a birthing center. I wanted to have my son at home in water, but he was 6 weeks early and I had to have him at the hospital. A home water birth is a great way for the father to be involved, and it is not hard to see at all and some midwives will even let the dad "catch" the baby!! I hope you go for it, it is a wonderful way to bring a child into the world.
    shortydo

Answer by shortydo at 12:12 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I had a waterbirth at a hospital. It was amazing!! I had zero pain medications and trust me... I AM A HUGE WHIMP! it took me 2 hours to let them draw my blood when i first found out i was pregnant.
    If you have more questions.. feel free to message me! =)
    good luck
    GA_GiRL0920

Answer by GA_GiRL0920 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2009