Is there any connection between ADHD, ODD and puberty?

My 10 yr old son has ADHD and ODD. His behavior has been getting worse with the "I don't care attitude, "I hate you/my life, I don't want to do my homework". Long story short, in 10 yrs, he has been through some pretty rough things and I'm not using them as an excuse for his behavior(s) but just saying that there is some validity behind it (them). He is in counseling and on meds. My question is, can puberty make things worse for children with these issues?

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have a daughter that is 12 yrs old. she has alot of issues she has been diagnosed with adhd,add,odd,bipolar,depression, and alot more she has been like this since she was 5 yrs old. She has been taking meds, going to doctors and all that. Now that she is reaching puberty it is alot more to handle than a "normal" child . I know it is hard 2 deal with but I know u have the strenth 2 hang in there . just stick 2 your rules and show them some tough love it will pay off in the future. Good luck.
    sae931

Answer by sae931 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I'm not a doctor but I know what my neice is like at 6 with ADHD and ODD, and I know what a 'normal' hormonal boy goes through....I can't imagine that it wouldn't be a hundred times worse for someone with your sons impairments to go through puberty. Blessings to both of you.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would say yes. It is hard being a teenager, I remember, lol. I would think so.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 10:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Meds often need to be adjusted during puberty also. But think about this - most ADHD children are about 2-3 years behind on a maturity level. Imagine how it feels to be 8-11 going through so many emotional and physical changes!
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 6:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2008