Anybody on WIC?

Does it annoy you when they tell you things that totally conflict with what your baby's pediatrician says? I just go with what the doctor said...he's more in tune with what's going on with my baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lol, absolutely, I just totally ignore the people at WIC. They are SO worried that my oldest is at 75% for his height and 30% for his weight, but he has BEEN 75/30 since the day he was born! They actually gave me a handout telling me to feed him lots of butter, and cream sauces and sugars just to make him gain weight. How is THAT healthy?
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• The WIC people scare me...my mom keeps telling me to go apply for it, but I'm not so sure. I haven't heard too many good things about the people that run it : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• They are a pain in the rear but my vouchers save me about $50 a week on groceries.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I HATE dealing with those people! If we didn't need it, I'd tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine! No matter what I say or do they've gotta tell me OVER AND OVER again what I'm supposed to do, even when I tell them that that IS what I do. Sometimes I wonder if the people who work there get off on telling you what to do. ARGGG!!!!!!!!!!!
    sarah3-CO

Answer by sarah3-CO at 9:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• "Sometimes I wonder if the people who work there get off on telling you what to do."

HAHA, I bet they have to relieve themselves in between meetings because it's just too hot to handle.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• They always hassle me because my husband technically makes too much money for WIC. BUT, my doctor thought I was having twins this time so that made me eligible for medicaid which automatically makes us eligible for WIC too. They HATE me in there. But the economy sucks and we need the help so I'm not going to pass it up.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I've never had much of a problem with them, except they don't like the fact that I pay for my milk (lactaid), and let my husband and brother use the whole milk. They said that I'm soppose to. If I could, I would, but I don't like what happens when I drink whole milk. very painfull.
    Momma_Neko

Answer by Momma_Neko at 9:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• my wic horror story,which forced me to change to another office.Late in my pregnancy I found out my son had trisomy 18 and wasnt going to live. When I went to wic they kept telling me i was gaining to much weight too soon . I tried to explain that I have well over double the amount of amniotic fluid and my son was not developing normally they told me to cut out salt and that would relieve the water weight i was like "WHAT?!"
    dramaqueen4fun

Answer by dramaqueen4fun at 10:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Then shortly after I gave birth to my son at 30 wks gestation and I went to my WIC appt to let them know that he was born early and lived for one hour and they kept asking if i was breastfeeding and i asked them if they were serious. i told them that i wasnt nursing and they said " just put your baby to the breast and the baby will eat" I will admit I was quite offended by this and I said " ARE YOU LISTENING?i am not going to try to breastfeed my dead baby" the other women is the office was shocked by my statement and i felt bad i had said it so loud... and to top it off every time i went to my post natal wic appt they would ask how my son was and ask me to bring him in to be weighed and if he was still haveing trouble nursing....
    dramaqueen4fun

• wow i'm sorry pp thats hard.
    i'm glad i'm able to just nod my head at those wic people and go scream about it later i just say oh uh huh ok and do what i know is right.
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2008