My 5 year old is really starting to have behavorial problems and he does not how to communicate does anyone have any advice for me?

He is very rough with my one year old he tries to suffocate the cat and thinks it funny! He likes to shut down ALOT we try to communicate with him and its like were not even talking to him. He has problems going to sleep at night therefor he does not ever want to wake up the next morning. He is also have issues at preschool.

wmays

Asked by wmays at 9:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are you able to talk to your pediatrician? Sounds slightly 'off' but maybe just immmaturity. Your doc can help you with more questions - to see if this is a stage, or if it needs more attention.
    Anonymous

• What do you mean by he does not know how to communicate? Do you mean that he doesn't know how to express his feelings and what he was thinking at the time of an incident? Or do you mean he doesn't communicate to anyone ever - as in he doesn't speak well at all? From the little you wrote it sounds like your son could use some professional intervention. At 5 suffocating the cat isn't normal. Sleep disturbances are also a red flag. I would get a referal from my child's pediatrician to see a pediatric behavioralist and a mental health counselor. It doesn't sound like he is doing this just for attention. Going to a specialists who is familiar with age appropriate development and behaviors is a good idea to rule out serious issues. And if it is serious then you went to the right people for help.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• last yr I had to deal with most of those issues. Have patientence and keep redirecting him. for bad behaviors try taking somthing he like away for a few hrs or a day. My child is now in kindergarden and diognosed with hdhd she she know doing better but stills needs improvement good luck
    farout

Answer by farout at 11:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• my son did the same thing hurting animals smaller then him shutting down verbally, not sleeping agrressive, id go to hand him something and hed scream ill do it my self and im trying to tell him here take it and hes still screaming ill do it my self. i had him evaluated and he has adhd bipolr odd and severe aggression. he is on meds and is doing alot better i tried to control it for three years with counseling but when he started throwing chairs in preschool and hitting teachers because he was in a blind rage i sought pysciatric help.(he cant calm himself down when he is angry was in anger classes for a year and a half)
    bittersweet7791

Answer by bittersweet7791 at 12:50 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• When you say he shuts down a lot, I'm thinking that maybe he should be tested for autism since that is a characteristic.
    pdazzle

Answer by pdazzle at 12:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• pdazzle.....the word autism popped into my mind as well. Having trouble falling asleep is an autism characteristic as well.

my dd is not autistic but has autistic tendancies, it could be related. Check into it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I am a new stepmom, but I raised myself and my little brother (at least, behaviorally), so I guess I do have some feedback for you. My fiancee's daughter came into our household full time in March and she was a NIGHTMARE. I just dealt with her the same way I did with with my younger brother. I don't focus on her flaws. I tell her when she does a good job. She hurt our cat a couple times and the solution was simple. She cant' play with the cat or any of the cat toys anymore. She would shut down and throw tantrums and such.. I would leave the room, telling her calmly and at her level that the longer she fusses, the longer she will be stuck in there. I dont know how your son will respond to resoning though,. Maybe he's needing some challenge. Mine is in Kindergarten and has come really far since school started. She loves learning. He could be BORED!!! :) Best of luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
    20sumstepmom

Answer by 20sumstepmom at 5:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My son is 6 and just diagonsed with A.D.H.D. Lost of things you described are things we are dealing with. i suggest seeing someone about this and medication is not a bad thing. just watch what they put him on. good luck and happy holidays.
    mizzgarcia_1010

Answer by mizzgarcia_1010 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2008