When it comes to teaching your children about life, do you feel you fail them when they seem to rebel against you because of what their friends are allowed to do? Do you feel that you are a bad mom when it comes to disciplining your children to do what’s right so they can be productive and succeed as adults in society and as their own person?

I’m all about motherhood, because I really do enjoy being a mother but sometimes found myself making bad choices when it comes to my children. Even though my children tell me I’m a great mom and they feel they I love them, many times I punish myself when it comes to disciplining them because I do believe in always doing what’s right and want them to do the same. When they rebel against me and do things that they have been taught to do right over and over, I feel I’m not doing enough to teach them to make better choices. I feel that I’m a bad mom, and sometimes feel I’m the worse mom in the world. Do any of you feel that way, is that normal for moms, or am I’m just having early stages of psycho mom?

ladynell4god

Asked by ladynell4god at 12:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No one is perfect . . . we just do the best we can, which means striving to be better role models. . . . sometimes, changing our own behavior.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree no one is perfect. And sometimes other people try to make me feel like poo for how I raise my child. But I love my child, she is healthy, happy and I do the best I can everyday.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 12:34 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• dont ever feel like that because know matter what u teach your kid they gonna do what they wanna do even if they know it's worng they have to learn just chill u did what u did in the past.
    lee2373

Answer by lee2373 at 3:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It is normal for children to explore ideas and beliefs different from their parents' views. To not experiment with other ideas is not very healthy - rather robtic. I would rather have a child who is interested in various different approaches to life vs. a sheep who follows my every bleet. It is very normal to want to be like your friends and do similar things, have similar interests, look very simar with your dress....it is about trying to learn who you are. I would stick tonmy house rules but not worry about how my child's personal path is looking different than I thought it would.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:44 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It is MY job to keep them safe, make them educated and kind, moral decent human beings. If they don't like me for it...I am doing my job! I am not their friend. They can come to me with anything, but ask them...what mom says GOES!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I feel that way all the time. Then I have to remember that I am doing what I can the best way I can. I love them wholeheartedly and I always remind my son when he pulls the "well so and so's mom lets him do it..." that I am not so and so's mom, I am his and isn't he lucky.
    vishuz1

Answer by vishuz1 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Thanks everyone: I really appreciate your responses. It helped me a lot.
    ladynell4god

Comment by ladynell4god (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• we are all human and we all make mistakes; everyone I feel thinks this way at one time or another; just go with the way you feel is right and raise your children the way you want them raised
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think all mom's feel guilt when there child or children start to rebel, mine is 16 and he is starting it he compares me to his friends parents and what they let them do and I don't and I simply say well i'm not your friends parents and I care about what you are doing so if you want to do this then this is when why and where you need to be, he gets mad but he comply's sometimes I feel like we married because we fuss so much.
    But lately the last 2 months it has been good i don't know when his enternal light went on but he is following the rules and that is because I am consistant when i say something to him and i don't argue with him anymore about it. I tell him im the mom and your the kid and when your 18 you can move out and do as you like....
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2011