Could my period be coming too soon preventing me from getting pregnant??? I know I sound uneducated or something, but I promise I'm not...just curious

Back in October, I was nauseous for 3wks straight...thought I was pregnant, turns out I wasn't (unless I end up on "I didn't know I was pregnant"). Went to the doctor because in addition to that for 10months I was having a "period" every other week after being off the Depo shot for 1.5yrs. Doc said I wasn't ovulating so prescribed me Progesterone. I take it every month for 10days to make me ovulate. He said that if I'm not pregnant within 6months-1yr, and we're really wanting to be, to come back and we'll see what's up...this is month 6. I take the Progesterone pill every month from the 13-22nd, sometime during those 10days I'm supposed to ovulate...I haven't temped or used any OPKs to figure out exactly when though...then on the 25th I start my period. I was planning to wait the full year to go see the doctor when my prescription is up and I've got to go back for my annual anyways...but I got to thinking tonight is it possible that my period comes too soon before I have chance to get pregnant???

I know I probably sound very uneducated or something, and I promise I'm not. Obviously I could ask the doctor about this, and if it's possible, then I will be getting in contact with him about it.

Sooo...is it possible???

dlandrum

Asked by dlandrum at 12:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• lady you are probably more educated than me. i dont calculate anything. i just try and wait it out. i do think that we ovulate the most right before and after a period. not sure though. i just got off the shot in december. took me the 7th of last month to get mine. this month it came on the 15th. i am also feeling sick and "out of wack" so to speak. it took me 4 months of trying after the shot for the first one i lost. 6 months with my son. with my son it was exactly 1 year from getting off the shot. i have no clue what to expect but i dont think our periods would really hurt it. maybe you are still just trying to get back to normal. they said it could take me 18 months to ovulate normal. wish you luck! i would say it should be soon for you. hope all is well!
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 12:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I got off the shot January 2009...In January 2010 I started what I thought was my periods again, the first one was 50days long and then after that they were every other week and not consistent as far as side effects, flow, etc...So when I thought I was pregnant this past October and then turned out I wasn't, I had decided my body had had enough time to regulate itself, so went in to see the Doc...he said I wasn't ovulating and that's why I was bleeding the way I was (I was releasing estrogen instead). So he prescribed me the Progesterone to basically regulate me...
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• And thank you btw...I hope it's soon too!!!
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• That is not a dumb question at all. That would be an issue if you have a luteal phase defect which can and will prevent you from getting pregnant.

The only way to know for sure if you have one is to chart.

If you are serious about TTC you need to be charting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Anon--Thank you! I guess I should look into that...we just hadn't gotten to THAT stage of trying, we're still kind of take things as they come, but I'm really really wanting it to happen (so is DH). I guess I can/should research all that goes into it, but do you know how I would go about charting and how it would show if that's what's up???
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Nevermind to Anon...I just read a bit on it and at least it seems that if that is the case, then it can be easily corrected. Well...based on what I read it is. Still would suck if that's the case, but at least, according to what I read, it can be fixed!
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2011