What would you do if your child decides to take you to court because of a household rule refusal?

If its lawful for a minor child to take their parents to court to refuse their household rules, such as going to church, what you think will become of that child, and do you think that child should be given that much power over its parents and still be allowed to live in the household with limited rules? I can’t remember if I read it or saw it on the news, but a child took his parents to court because he didn’t want them to make him go to church. Seems the more parent’s rights to discipline their children are taken, the more difficult it is to handle and correct an out of order child. I tell my 8 and 10 year old they don’t have to follow my rules, they don’t have to listen to me, and they can do anything they want. But I elaborate more and tell them they can’t do it under my roof: that if they want to do their own thing, they must do it out of my care and out of my house. I also tell then when they move into their own place, they have the right to set rules as they please as long as they are not breaking laws. But as for my house, all rules are set by me and not them. I don’t understand how a judge can give a child the right to refuse their parent’s instructions and guidance: especially if it’s to benefit them in a good and positive way in life.

ladynell4god

Asked by ladynell4god at 12:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I personally think a parent shouldn't force their children to go to church. Going to church or following a household rule like cleaning their room, etc. are completely different.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• so what does that mean: parents should allow their children stay at home and do what they want? Going to church is as beneficial to a family, including their children, as it is going to school. They are force to get an education, and if parents don't send them, trauncy court will make both you and the child pay. But we as parents know and understand that a good education is a great tool and asset for our children's young lives as they grow and mature into their own being. The same as a family who builds it's values and foundation upon spirituality. Both teaches and discipline them to work hard and mature into adulthood. That's like telling me if I go to church my 10 year old should have the right to tell me I don't won't to go and you can't make me. Or me changing our household rules to fit what she wants because she wants it knowing she does not know what's best for her. I disagree, but respect your opinions. Thanks
    ladynell4god

Comment by ladynell4god (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• This is a first. I am from the old school. We had food put in front of us and we finished it. The same went for church. As long as your in your parents home you abide by family rules. I do not know what kind of case a child could have against parents in this situation. But i guess nothing surprises me much now a days.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would laugh

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree with mommy of two. I wouldnt force my kids to go to church if they didnt want to. I know what that feels like.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 7:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If my child took me to court, the judge had better put me in jail then, 'cause if he didn't and my child came home with me, I'd be beating that butt! I was raised by my grandparents, who were old school, and like another pp said, you ate what you were given and followed the rules. If that meant church, then you went and you behaved yourself. Kids didn't do this acting out in public then, and they CERTAINLY did not take their parents to court. Boy, if I had tried that one, my grandparents would have laughed at me!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If a person, including a child, is able to clearly state why the specific church attending vilates their personal rights and freedoms....I think it is worth hearing in court. For the casual reader it may appear it is "just church.". But what if the church requires children to marry at a young age, to preform adult duties beyond their age appropriate ability (including sexual abuse), and perhaps is dangerous to the healthand well being if the minor child. A judge determines if a case has merrit. If a judge does not believe, based on existing laws, a case has any merrit to be heard, he or she may dismiss the case. I admire any child willing to advocate for their rights. If my child sued me for his right to practice his spiritual beliefs as he sees fit or for a lack of faith - I would be proud of his self advocacy. I doubt my son would sue us about religion. I have always encouraged him to think independently. Even at
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• four I say: pray or relfect on God or the Universe as you have come to understand Him or Her. We discuss many views in acway that is simple and age appropriate. Most parents claim they want a child to think for themselves. I have found this is not the case. It turns out to be you have the freedom to think what you want as long as I agree. I would be amused should my child decide to really strongly express a veiw through legal means. I look forward to the day I can explore his thoughts and really have wonderful enlightening conversations. I don't need a mini me. I want to know he is his own person.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree with frogdawg as well. I really couldn't have expressed it better.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You can not compare religious indoctrination to basic fundamental education.

Personally, I won't be in a fuddled suit because we teach our children to behave socially responsibly, morally, and adhere to the laws of the land WITHOUT religion.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:48 AM on Mar. 18, 2011