Moms in dallas/ fort worth tx area! considering move, what do you think?

I have never been to texas. my mom moved there a few months ago and wants me to join her. I have heard some bad things about tx, wondering what you ladies think. She lives "by the lake" but will be moving closer to dallas (not sure where) because of a job. I have three daughters, all under 5 yrs old. thanks!

alleaeon

Asked by alleaeon at 12:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Travel

• I am not much help as I live College Station, TX. But, I like it here and the schools are good. Most cities have a website with the highlights of the city and the schools also have websites. We are 3 hours away from Dallas. Good Luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Ya can't get better than Texas! LOL!....Of course, this is coming from a Texan! I'm a born and raised Texan, but have been to MANY other states (for long periods of time)...and Texas beats them all IMO...but in all honesty,Austin (and surrounding areas) is our top pick and where we are trying to go. (We're currently in Corpus Christi....both DH and I were born and raised here, and it's "home", but we're SO ready to get out, so I don't recommend), but Dallas/FW (or surrounding) would be our next pick. It's nice! I love Texas, I LOVE being a Texan, and I definitely recommend! Where are you from originally?
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I'm not one for big cities but when I moved down to Dallas a couple of years ago I LOVED IT! Downtown Dallas is sooooo pretty at night time with all the tall buildings and lights. There is lots of hustle and bustle. However, I lived in Irving though, and the neighborhood I lived in wasn't that great. It was predominantly Hispanic which I didn't mind since my bf is Mexican and I speak Spanish but East Irving Blvd. Isn't good news. I got follwed home by a lot of guys and witnessed a robbery at the Dollar Store I worked at. I would have rather been in Dallas!
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 1:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I just moved from the Dallas/Ft Worth area and I loved it there. It's great for kids, good schools, nice weather, etc. Bad things you hear about Texas are usually from people who are jealous, IMO. Living by the lake is a pretty general description since there are several lakes, and one of them crosses into 3 different counties, I think. Not all parts of Dallas are desirable. In fact, I wouldn't live in Dallas or Fort Worth. The special places to live are the small towns interspersed in the DFW area. I was up in Corinth, loved it there, great parks. Frisco has great schools, not to mention that's where Olympic Gold Medalist Nastia Liukin lives and trains, I dont' know if your girls do gymnastics. Grapevine and Southlake are nice, Carrolton and Addison have a lot going on. All of these places are within the DFW area, like one big city. It's nice to have so many choices for things to do, it lends itself well to the staycation.
    jennysama

Answer by jennysama at 1:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think your making a good decision, your gonna love it. Been here all my life & don't ever want to leave.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 1:43 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would find out how long your mom is going to be there and maybe visit first good luck
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 12:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It might also depend on where you are moving from. If you are moving from Alaska, for example, then it will be a big change.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011